Author Topic: 1939 Register - Annotations and What They Mean?  (Read 82297 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register - Annotations and What They Mean?
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 25 November 21 09:58 GMT (UK) »
the intials refer to the district office where the amendment was made.

Here’s the full list https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/1939-register-enumeration-districts
NJA was the code for Manchester.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 25 November 21 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. So it's the district where a change was made rather than the individual.

Still extremely odd that he'd cause someone to think he was three months younger. Who knows why. He was somewhat a man of mystery.
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline SplanK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 01 June 23 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hello
I think I fell foul of the copyright issue on my first attempt at posting in here (should have read the FAQ/sticky's first!).

I have an entry that i'm currently looking into where a males surname name has been crossed out and replaced with an alternative surname.  Its unclear as to why this has happened, however the annotation B.C. I.E. or B.C. I.C appears in red ink.  Does anybody have any suggestions as to what this could be?

Within the probate, both surnames was declared, and I have found a possible burial site under his alternative name rather than expected!

Thanks in advance

Just to follow up on this, I didn't find out what the initials stood for officially, however, 'Birth Cert Identity error / check' fits very well in this case.

Essentially he was born with the surname 'CORNS', but was raised with the name 'COATES', and only found out much later in life.

illegitimate having been given the step father's name and later found out the birth name

In a nut shell this, although he was told he was fathered by a man from his mother's previous marriage rather than a forward marriage which never made sense due to the dates of death/birth!

I documented the story here on find a grave page: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/251841380/george-william-coates_or_corns
Harding/Jones/Walters/Coates in Stoke on Trent
Calderbank/Baxendale/Swift/Massey in Chorley and Standish

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 18:21 BST (UK) »
I have green writing with BLP for Rossendale Lancashire, could not find what BLP means ???

BS
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline Norfolk Nan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 18 September 23 15:11 BST (UK) »
Can anyone explain the annotations 'WAFS D1(or DI)' please?  This was alongside my gran who was shown as being at the Tollington Park central school sub-station in Islington. 

Thank you.
Davison - London
South - London, Hampshire
Sharp(e) - Hertfordshire, Suffolk
Lee - Ireland
Summerfield - London, Buckinghamshire
Bickers - London, Norfolk, Suffolk
Guiver - London, Hertfordshire, Essex, Cambridgeshire
Murray - London
Hill - London, Devon

Offline Myra Bowen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Any idea what this means?

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 07 March 24 14:23 GMT (UK) »

Medical card makes sense considering the register was linked to the NHS. Not sure about half married couple's ration allowance as the 1/2 m/c entry I've been looking at was dated 1976. Perhaps a new doctor's card was issued with a change in surname or address which required the register to be updated. 1/2 still a puzzle though.

I have just found one with 1/2 M/C with date of 27 11 56 and HR which I presume were the initials of the person who entered the code.
The person was a married woman who in 1939 was recorded as "Rosina M" and the alteration in the same colour just says "Rosina May", so it looks like they were just changing her middle initial to her full second forename.
She was born 15 Aug 1894, so she would be 62 when the alteration was made - doesn't sound like a significant age. She wasn't widowed until 1972, she never remarried after being widowed and died in 1977.
The only thing I can think of is that she moved house in 1956 and registered with a new doctor and someone decided to update the register then with her full name.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline stevenaj21

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any idea what these connotations mean next to my great-uncle name? this is the last record we have of him so we would love to know what they mean to see if they can help us find out what happened to him. thanks.