Author Topic: Humphreys-Youngson- Whyte- Findlayson-Youngson-Proctor-Summers from Lossie  (Read 2675 times)

Offline T.Donaldson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

I posted this message on the Lossiefowlk site as this is the nearest place concerned with all the people mentioned but only got one enthusiatic reply, also on the Banffshire part of this site for maximum exposure.
I have some old letters that mention Benji, Eddie, Simon and Davie Youngson, Louis Whyte and someone called Findlayson, Bob Stewart, Nellie Gordon,Elsie Proctor, someone called Summers who started a dance club at Anderson Hall and a Jessie McLean and a Mrs Leslie. These letters are dated between 1898 -1901 with a few undated.They have just small snippets of what these people were up and where they worked. If there is anyone out there that these names mean anything to i will gladly let you know about them or send you copies . All these were written by Annie Humphrey who lived at 7 Church St, Lossiemouth to my gt grandfather - but she gave up on him and married William Anderson in 1904.   

tkd

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Humphreys-Youngson- Whyte- Findlayson-Youngson-Proctor-Summers from Lossie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 06 18:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry for not replying sooner.

I seem to have some of these in my family tree, though your date of 1904 doesn't fit:

Margaret Anderson(1868-1934), daughter of William Anderson and Annie Humphrey, married a distant relative of mine, William Leslie (1866-1932) on 22 December 1892. They lived at Mid Kintrae, Spynie and had five children:

George Leslie, born 1893
Annie Humphrey Leslie (1894-1975) married William Macdonald, born 1901
Catherine Rhind Leslie (1898-1906)
Mary Jane Leslie (1898-1945) married Francis Donald Henry Robertson (1891-1945) and had at least one son, William Leslie Robertson, born 1927
Beatrice Leslie, born 1900

I also have Henry Sommers (1873-1947), who married Mary Alexander Mathieson (1890-1977) in 1937. Henry's first wife was Margaret Morrison, who had died in 1930.

I'd be interested in seeing copies of these letters.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline T.Donaldson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 06 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian

Its been so long since i posted this i had forgotton about it !
The 1904 date is the marriage of Annie Humphrey to William Anderson -30th December 1904. I havnt gone into this family as its not related to me but could have been if my gt grandfather had stuck around.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 September 06 19:09 BST (UK) »
Well, well! There must have been two couples with the same names, because the parents of the Margaret Anderson who married William Leslie were married on 22 March 1862.

Quite a coincidence, that, because Humphrey isn't all that common a name, and both marriages took place within half a dozen miles of one another.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline T.Donaldson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 September 06 19:18 BST (UK) »
So know you know why 1904 doesnt fit !

Annies parents were James Rennie ? certificate not too clear and Margaret Humphrey - not that its much use now  ;)