Author Topic: Would an 1899 Ballarat death be likely have a mother's maiden name noted?  (Read 749 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Would an 1899 Ballarat death be likely have a mother's maiden name noted?
« on: Friday 19 February 16 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Excuse me please for interrupting this thread, but I have a quick question about a Victorian death. All the experts seem to be gathered in here at the moment, so hope that's OK?

Just this one - don't need anything else, have plenty of other info. Quick yes or no or maybe will do thanks.

Supposing of course that the informant knew. Her husband pre-deceased her, they were married in Ireland, so no mother was named, although I do know that her Christian names were the same as her own mother's, Sarah Annie.

The only surviving child, a daughter, born in Victoria, who also lived in Ballarat, was still alive at the time of this death, so chances are she may have been the informant, and possibly knew her mother's maiden name?  Thank you.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Australian divorce records, Victoria and NSW
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 16 04:10 GMT (UK) »

The fifth column heading on a VIC death certificate for that time is:

Name and Surname of Father and Mother (Maiden Name), if known, with Rank or Profession.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 16 04:15 GMT (UK) »
The only surviving child, a daughter, born in Victoria, who also lived in Ballarat, was still alive at the time of this death, so chances are she may have been the informant, and possibly knew her mother's maiden name?

So, the daughter was born in VIC & you don't have her birth cert?

Do you want to give me her name & year of birth so I can check the indexes which should show her mother's maiden name.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 16 04:19 GMT (UK) »
This is the information asked for in compiling a death certificate in Victoria

Deaths
 Date and place of death;
 name and surname;
 occupation of the deceased;
 sex and age;
 cause of death,
 duration of illness,
 medical attendant by whom certified and when he last saw deceased;
 name and surname of parents (if known) including mother's maiden surname        signature, description and address of the person who gave the information;  signature of deputy registrar, date and where registered,
 when and where buried,
 undertaker whom certified;
 name and religion of Minister, or names of witnesses of burial;
 place of birth of the deceased and how long he or she resided in the Australian colonies or states (stating which),
 name of spouse,
 place of marriage,
 age at marriage;
 names and ages of children of the deceased.

As you have already said it depends on the knowledge (and occasionally truthfulness) of the informant.  I have seen a death certificate where the first marriage and children from the first marriage were not included as the informant was a child of the second marriage and did not know that his father had been married and that he had half-siblings.

I know also of one of my ancestors who deliberately left out some and falsified other information.

Good luck with it

Judith

Oops, sorry, Merlin.  Red notification too late!
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 16 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Actually, sorry,  I've goofed this up!  Probably didn't word it correctly. It's a bit confusing, as two Sarah Annie Mathews, in 2 different generations.

The maiden name I need is for the mother of Sarah Annie (née Mathews) Potter, born and married in Ireland, to John Potter, who was later the Archdeacon of Ballarat. She died in Ballarat 13 July,1899. I don't have a maiden name for HER mother. That was the point I tried to make in my post, but tangled it up!

So it's the daughter - (name actually Mary Grace Lucinda Potter(b 1853 Geelong) that I referred to, who I thought may have been the informant, as she was still alive at that time, and may have known her mother's maiden name.  And that's where I messed up. It's not Mary Grace Lucinda Potter's mother's maiden name I need, the one I need is Sarah Annie (Mathews) Potter's mother, also named Sarah Annie, who was married to Henry Maxwell Mathews, Dublin, Ireland, a record of which I have never been able to find and would have been probably early 1800's.

Merlin, thank you for your kind offer, but it would be Mary Grace Lucinda's mother's maiden name on her birth certificate, but the one I need is for the Sarah Annie 1 generation back from her, not the Sarah who married the Archdeacon, but her mother!

You may remember Merlin, my scavenger hunt for my Mathews family, when you found my great great grandfather's John Gibbons Mathews death at sea in 1873. He was Sarah Annie (Mathews) Potter's brother. I have no mother from his Irish marriage either and haven't been able to locate a birth record for him or his sisters and 1 brother.

I feel extra bad now, taking up space in this thread, with what I though would be a quick find, but goofed it up big time, and I apologise to all, especially those who have responded, thank you for that, and also the OP EVE 45.  Very sorry for your trouble, but much appreciated nevertheless!

Jeanne

And now I'm off to boil my head! ;D😳🙄
And you can get back to Eva!

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 16 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hey Jeanne, don't worry about it! It was a good idea to post your query when we had so many obviously good-hearted experts around. Please don't boil your head :-)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 16 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Is this the one you are talking about? Born c.1824.

The death for Sarah Ann POTTER age 75yrs was registered at ST KILDA not BALLARAT.
She was buried in Ballarat with six other family members.
Is that the one you need the maiden name for?

The death certificate details from the index show this:

Sarah Ann POTTER 75yrs d. 1899 St K #11357
Father: Hy Maxwell POTTER
Mother: Unknown UNKNOWN

There will be no name for her mother on her death certificate as it doesn't appear on the indexes.
It appears there is an error the surname of her father also ::)

Yes, I remember the scavenger hunt & finding John Gibbons Mathews for you very well  & I had his death certificate from the Marine register also  ;)

Death notice:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/9514045

Previous threads where we have given you this & other information previously:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738195.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717638.0

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 February 16 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Merlin it was for the mother OF the Sarah who died in St Kilda, same married name, Sarah Annie Mathews , but with that being an Irish marriage to John Potter, just after registration began, she was not named on her Sarah's marriage record to John Potter, nor on her brother John's marriage in 1845.   Same for John's wife's mother  - no name of her mother either!

Nor have I ever been able to find births for any of them in Ireland, also another sister and another brother.  Nor a birth for Henry, their father! These women with no mother's named, and father's with no wives named, were actually the reason I started the a Scavenger Hunt in the first place, no joy though, but with the added bonus of a whole bunch of new stuff -namely the Potter stuff,  that was Fantastic!

Oh well, them's the breaks, can't win them all I suppose.

And yes you did indeed find the death cert in the Marine Registers as well, and Passenger list too, great find both of them!  Thank you again, and also for this time around too!

Someone must have mixed up the names a bit on the index - Seen that one thanks!

Hy Maxwell Potter - Brides Father is Henry Maxwell Mathews. her Husband John Potter.

Sarah and John Potter had about 6 or 7 children (off the top of my head - but I do have them all).
Mary Grace Lucinda Potter was the only one who survived, and she never married!
So sad for the parents, losing all those children, and then Mary Grace not marrying, no grandchildren!

Eve, thank you for being gracious about my post, I appreciate that, and wish you and John all the best with getting John's Father's affairs settled!

And everyone else of course -   Thank you!

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Would an 1899 Ballarat death be likely have a mother's maiden name noted?
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 February 16 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi jaybelnz,

I have just split of your enquiry off from Eve's to save confusion.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk