Author Topic: canada British regimental registers of service  (Read 3154 times)

Offline pamissearching!!!

• RootsChat Veteran
  • searching..............
    • View Profile
canada British regimental registers of service
« on: Monday 22 February 16 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am not sure if this is the right place but is any one able to access these records?
I am looking for a William Miller born 1804 Lambeth Surrey [occupation, Potter]
He enlisted 3/10/1822.
Would he have been in Canada or is that just a name for the regiment? Never had one of these before. I would be grateful for any help here :)
prince,bolt,mcleod,mckenzie,robertson,southgate, rider,fry, riddle,neale,taylor,newton,blythe,worrall,gunn,skingley,stewart,morrish,morriss,cobb,skull,carey, Miller, ALexander,

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: canada British regimental registers of service
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 February 16 14:04 GMT (UK) »
If I have interpreted the query correctly, you should find what you are looking for at this link. It is free to use.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~crossroads/regiments/

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 February 16 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes these are records for British regiments who served in Canada so he would have been out there.
William Miller 18 enlisted at Chatham 3.10.1822 for life 58th foot soldiers
Born Lambeth Potter
5ft 8in fresh complexion brown eyes light brown hair round face

1816-1822 it was in Jamacia ,I'm having difficulty finding when exactly the regiment moved to Canada.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 February 16 14:18 GMT (UK) »
The record in question is from the National Archives record WO25/440 which is a register of the 58th Regiment of Foot.

I don't know why Ancestry have put that "Canada" label on these records.

You can download the images FOC from the National Archives. The image you need is 168/224 in WO-25-440_1.pdf (Part 1) http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4397188
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 February 16 17:42 GMT (UK) »
1816-1822 it was in Jamacia ,I'm having difficulty finding when exactly the regiment moved to Canada.

I have a record of the 58th Foot sailing from Spain to in Canada in May 1814 and returning to Ostend in August 1815. Another source has them in Canada in 1813. But not taking part in any engagement until September 1814.

The Muster books will have to be looked at to confirm which date is correct. They may have sent one or two companies over early for example.

They were certainly not in Canada after your man enlisted.

Ken

Offline pamissearching!!!

• RootsChat Veteran
  • searching..............
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone. I had wondered why he disappeared from England and I couldn't find death or immigration. He must have stayed in Jamaica. Cheers
prince,bolt,mcleod,mckenzie,robertson,southgate, rider,fry, riddle,neale,taylor,newton,blythe,worrall,gunn,skingley,stewart,morrish,morriss,cobb,skull,carey, Miller, ALexander,

Offline Isobell21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 March 16 20:55 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this is the right place to ask,so forgive my ignorance.

My children are looking for Henry King born 1831-32,they have managed to learn everything about his life in Canada but can not go further back because they can not find parents names or place of birth.

The only clue here is that their was a photo taken of him in Army Uniform. it is the Royal Artillery and he would have come to Canada in 1850-51.He is in 1852 Census of Canada as a servant to Edward Bowen who I think was an Officer in the British Army.

Any advise would be appreciated .

Isobell
Barber,Foden,Howarth,Horrobin,Jones

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 March 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isobell

Was he a civilian after 1852? If so his service in the army must have been very brief and he would not have received a pension. Therefore his record would not have been kept.

It would be a good idea to post the photograph to confirm regiment and time period. Pre 1852 would be very early for a photograph.

I have checked the Army Lists from 1848 to 1851 and the only Edward Bowen was Lt/Adjutant (later Captain) in the 69th Regiment. They were in NB/NS 1839 to 42. How old was Bowen in 1851?

Ken

Offline Isobell21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 March 16 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I believe his enlistment age was 13.5 ...

The photo is MIA as the person who had the photo is deceased,I have inquired to some members but to know avail.

He would have been 2nd great-grandfather of my children.

There was also a 2nd. great-grandparents from the maternal side who was born in Scotland and married a girl from Irish one catholic,one protestant who also had to obtain a licence,so it would appear a licence was necessary in a number of situations.
Barber,Foden,Howarth,Horrobin,Jones