Author Topic: 1939.....amazing what you cannot find  (Read 9336 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1939.....amazing what you cannot find
« on: Tuesday 23 February 16 09:25 GMT (UK) »
My aunt and uncle were married in 1935 and as I couldn't find them in the usual search way I put in the road .....I found that their house had been blocked.Uncle died in the fifties and my aunt in the seventies.A few others missing too.
How was this register taken....did people send in their record or was it a house to house record.If the latter I can understand why some are missing.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939.....amazing what you cannot find
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Registration was carried out the same way as a census. A schedule was left and later collected by an enumerator.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Registration was carried out the same way as a census. A schedule was left and later collected by an enumerator.

Stan
    Just like a census, there are efficient enumerators as well as enumerators lacking in precision and accuracy.
Some properties could have accidentally been omitted.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have found the same problem with several of my deceased relations

helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Blore.Derbyshire,Bristol,Redditch.
Richards,Bristol
Milson, Bitton
Harrison, Derbyshire
Census information Crown Copyright  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Several entries have a ?? after the first name, or before the surname or even overall. I have a few rellies who seemed to be a 1939 register dodger.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Several entries have a ?? after the first name, or before the surname or even overall. I have a few rellies who seemed to be a 1939 register dodger

?? or similar marks are only seen in the transcriptions when the handwriting is unclear.  They're not seen in the original images.  Personally I'd rather have an honest ?? than a wild guess :)

As for 'dodging' the register, that would leave the dodger with no identity card and no access to rations!  I wonder how many people were able to keep that up for 13 years (1939-1952) ???

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm not really complaining because I've found masses of useful information from the 1939 Register. However it does give the impression of being transcribed in rather a hurry. There are many perfectly clear originals that have been mangled in transcription, and many obvious careless mistakes like changing the sex of the person or grabbing some details from another line on the sheet.

I haven't yet tried submitting corrections, but I will do in due course when things settle down a bit. I think they must be experiencing a big jump in the number of people online at the moment.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 20:09 GMT (UK) »
................ many obvious careless mistakes like changing the sex of the person or grabbing some details from another line on the sheet.

I haven't yet tried submitting corrections, but I will do in due course when things settle down a bit.

Hi Mike :)

There are one or two other threads where the transcribing process has been explained.  Because of possible privacy issues, the transcribers weren't given entire pages to work on as you'd expect with a census, for example.  Instead they were each given a column, so one had the names, another had dates of birth etc.  When the transcribed entries were 'reassembled' some data inevitably became misaligned.

I'm submitting corrections as soon as they turn up (otherwise I'd forget where they were!) and I'm confident that they'll be looked at as soon as possible.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch