Author Topic: Frederick William Hudson  (Read 2244 times)

Offline sharleen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Frederick William Hudson
« on: Monday 18 July 05 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hi List

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me trace my grandfathers birth certificate.

His name was Frederick William Hudson, supposedly born in Sydney Australia.  My fathers birth certificate in 1929 lists him as 43 years old which would make him born in 1886.

However my dad's cousin said he found a piece of paper listing him as having been born on November 20, 1884.

The only other information I have on him was that he had the following siblings:  Leonard, Jim (possibly James) Beatrice & Daisy.

He was awarded three medals in 1914-1915 war and I managed to trace him to the Light Horseman Infantry which apparently boarded in Sydney.

Finally he married a Janet Aitken (born in Mackay Australia), in South Africa, however, I have been unable to locate their marriage certificate.  He died in South Africa in about 1943/44.

I am now even willing to entertain the idea that he may have been born elsewhere in Australia.  My fathers birth certificate indicates that his fathers place of birth was Australia.

I have tried every option available that I can think of and am still unable to locate him.  If anyone is able to help me, including sharing possible alternate  translations in surnames (ie Hutson) I would appreciate it.

Thanks and have a great day
Sharleen
Brough, Dewar, Aitken, Cairns, Hudson - Scotland-Australia/South Africa
Gatenby, Spink, Nolan - Yorkshire/South Africa
Lane - Manchester/South Africa
Moore - London/South Africa
Stuart, Collins- Scotland/South Africa
Masson, De St Pern - France/Mauritius/South Africa

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick William Hudson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 05 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharleen,
There is a Frederick W HUDSON born 1886 in Ashfield (Sydney) on www.bdm.nsw.gov.au - did you already rule him out?  I'll send you the ref. if not.
Cheers
Prue

Offline sharleen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 05 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue

I did not rule him out however, I could not seem to tie up the siblings to him as those which my mother remembers.

She also seems to think that his father was James Henry Hudson, however given that his brother was called Jim (possibly James) she may be somewhat confused.  My mom who has always been my source is now getting very forgetful.

Perhaps I should go to the SA archives and see if either of those parents died in South Africa.

Could you send me what you have on that reference.

Thanks
Sharleen

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 July 05 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharleen

This was the only Frederick William I could find in the national archives WWI
www.naa.gov.au

HUDSON Frederick William : Service Number - 4114 : Place of Birth - Geelong Vic : Place of Enlistment - Geelong Vic : Next of Kin - (Father) HUDSON W H

He appears to be the same man who was in the 4th light horse - joining 12 Feb 1917
He was specified as being 21 in 1917 so would have been born 1897 - seems unlikely to be your man.
http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/awm8/10_9_4/pdf/0077.pdf

but there are a few Frederick Hudsons as well, but I couldn't find one who fits the NSW birth viz

5740/1886  HUDSON  FREDERICK W  FREDERICK W  LOUISA A  ASHFIELD

The siblings certainly don't seem to match the names that you have. The AVRI doesn't cover Qld & SA so he could have been born in one of those states.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sharleen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 July 05 17:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish for your help.  This is a really tough one for me and I am ready to give up on the family.  Pity because it is my paternal line.

Sharleen

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 July 05 22:09 BST (UK) »
Sharleen!  Don't give up!!  You will find him.  Put it on the back burner for a while but come back to it from time to time.  It might take years but you will eventually make a breakthrough.

I've been doing this genealogy madness for more than 10 years and I'm still stuck on my 3xg-grandfather as I have been since 1992!!  I haven't given up on him though.  Just this year I smashed through a HUGE brickwall and found my 2xg-grandmother who I'd been hunting for many years.

Prue

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 03:09 BST (UK) »
I agree with Prue - keep asking the question in different ways, and somewhere.. sometime ... something will be found. We all have interesting "brick wall" folks. A relative of mine had been searching for my family since the 1980s. In 2003 I found a query on a genealogical web site & all was solved. So

If you are willing to spend $15AU, the birth certificate for the NSW Frederick may cast some further information. He appears to be in the right place at the right time. NSW has the option of buying transcripts.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToSearch.htm#TranscriptionAgent
which are cheaper than certificates (but not legal documents).

In regard to the siblings, I have a family history book written in the 1970s. Checking the names in the book with registered names at the BDM office, a very large number are NOT the same - indicating the children were known by "pet" names - the 1970s researcher did not use official sources - only family contacts.

Trish

PS A friend checked the Qld Index - the only possibility seems to be born  1881 - Parents Matthew John and Mary Jane.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sharleen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue & Trish

I do appreciate the encouragement.  My biggest problem is that the only two living relatives do not like to talk about the family so that is probably my biggest brick wall.

Thanks again
Sharleen