Author Topic: Thomas Johnson Born c 1792 Utkinton  (Read 3154 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thomas Johnson Born c 1792 Utkinton
« on: Thursday 25 February 16 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Looking for baptism records for Thomas Johnson who states on later censues that he was born c 1792 in Utkinton. Am also looking for his marriage records- he married Ann who was born c 1793 in Kelsall. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. I have found a baptism on 24th Sept 1794 at Eaton and am wondering if this is close to Utkinton?

I am assuming that if Ann and Thomas married, it would have been in or near Kelsall- the place of Ann's birth. Their eldest son Henry is shown aged 20 in 1841 Census.

Many thanks

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Johnson Born c 1792 Utkinton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Utkinton is two miles North West of Eaton.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 16 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Also it was in the parish of Tarporley.

There is a Thomas Johnson, son of Samuel and Mary of Utkinton, baptised 3/7/1791 at Tarporley.

If this is your Thomas's baptism I would have expected him to have named one of his own sons Samuel -- after his father. If he didn't this is prossibly not the right Thomas.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 16 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Actually there was a Samuel Johnson baptised in 1818 at Tarvin - son of Thomas Johnson and Ann of Kelsall - Thomas was a Farmer.

Kelsall was in Tarvin Parish.
Places of interest;

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 16 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! This is all looking quite hiopeful. The censues tell me that Thomas was born c 1792 in Utkinton and that his wife Ann was born a year later- in Kelsal.

It would seem that they had their first son Henry - shown as aged 20 in 1841 so his date of birth could be anything in a 5 year window. The 1841 also shows another son- Samuel- also aged 20. So it could well be that you have found Samuel as the eldest son- being baptised in 1818 under the rounding up/down age situation in 1841. Certainly Thomas Johnson was a farmer- so it is looking hopeful!

Is there any way we can find out any more about the marriage of Thomas and Ann- in 1841 they had children listed as Henry aged 20; Samuel aged 20, Thomas aged 15; George aged 7, John aged 3, Mary aged 13 and Esther aged 9. We have obtained a copy of the will of Thomas Johnson which simply reinforces the children that we have from the census but we are very keen to establish the date of the marriage of Thomas and Ann- which will hopefully discloses their fathers and allow us to go back another generation into the mid 1700s.

Really grateful for any help or guidance.

Can you advice which records you used to locate the baptisms please.

Many many thanks

Caroline

Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 February 16 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I can now see on IGI that there was a baptism for Henry Johnson - parents Thomas Johnson and Ann- at Tarvin on 21 April 1816- could this possibly be the eldest son?

Is it realistic to think that Thomas was producing his first son at the age of 15- if we are to believe the baptism in 1791 to be the correct Thomas? Certainly the fact that the 1791 baptism was apparently in Utkinton seems hopeful.  Still searching for a mariage twixt Thomas and Ann possibly in Kelsal being the home of the bride.

Caroline

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 16 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

Just a quick reply -- but I will look for the marriage again. I did look but couldn't see one in the areas I expected (which doesn't mean it wasn't there!

However at that time it's unlikely fathers' names will be shown on the marriage record.

I found the baptisms on Find My Past -- the Cheshire Parish Registers on that site.
If you have access;
Click on 'Search' on the ribbon menu along the top of the home page.
Click on A-Z of record Sets
Start typing in 'cheshire' (without the quotes)
The various record sets for Cheshire will appear
There are both Bishops transcripts and the Parish Registers - so if you cannot find something in one set - it's worth looking in the other.

I'll have another look for a marriage.
Places of interest;

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 February 16 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you x I have been scrolling through IGI too. Might go back and look again at Cheshire Parish records- the answer must be in there somewhere! I wonder what records are available on line specific to Utkinton and also Kelsal as I feel sure that is where Thomas and Ann probably got married.

Restful afternoon!

Caroline

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 February 16 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I've looked for a marriage again in those Cheshire records -- can only see;

1815 at St Oswald's Chester - Thomas Johnson, Labourer to Anne Morrison - both of this Parish. However one of the witnesses is a Samuel Johnson.

1818 (bit late!) at Prestbury --- Thomas Johnson, Husbandman and Ann Nixon - both of Lower Withington. One of the witnesses John Johnson.

The records for Utkinton residents are shown under Tarporley.
Kelsall residents under Tarvin.

We need someone else's clever eyes!
Places of interest;