Author Topic: Ashforth family of Burncross/Chapeltown/Sheffield  (Read 1088 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Ashforth family of Burncross/Chapeltown/Sheffield
« on: Friday 26 February 16 13:11 GMT (UK) »
(I've only just joined Rootschat so I hope this is in the right place!)

I'm currently tracing my father's paternal line - the Ashforth's. It was all going well until I hit a stumbling block;
my great grandfather was Samuel Ashforth (1886-1952) from Burncross. His father was Elijah Thomas Ashforth (1851-1922) from Chapeltown. Elijah's father was Abraham Ashforth (abt 1802-1879).
I found only one possible baptism record for Abraham Ashforth - at Sheffield's Cathedral Saint Peter on 15 September 1802, with parent's listed as John and Hannah Ashforth.
I've been unable to find the background to John and Hannah Ashforth - I found a possible marriage for a John Ashforth and Hannah Heaton in Rotherham on 7th March 1791 in Rotherham, although I think this refers to a John and Hannah who lived (and had their children baptised) at Wentworth.

Does anyone have this John and Hannah in their family? It would help greatly if anyone could help - it seems strange that if these are the same John and Hannah as the parent's of Abraham (my 3x great grandfather), then is it possible that they had some children baptized at Wentworth, and two children (I found a James Ashforth baptized at Sheffield also, with parents of John and Hannah Ashforth) baptized at Sheffield?

Thank you for any help :)
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Ashforth family of Burncross/Chapeltown/Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 16 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Not many clues in the transcripts either. John's occupation is labourer, maybe they moved for work?
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 16 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Where does Abraham say he was born, in the censuses?

There are a few Abraham Ashworths around of the right age, but as you haven't given any more details about him I'm not sure which is him
I'm not seeing a 10 yr oldElijah in 1861 with a Dad called Abraham either! 

Modified to add

OK, just ignore me. I was looking for Ashworth not Ash forth

Back to drawing board
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 16 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Where does Abraham say he was born, in the censuses?

There are a few Abraham Ashworths around of the right age, but as you haven't given any more details about him I'm not sure which is him
I'm not seeing a 10 yr oldElijah in 1861 with a Dad called Abraham either! 

Modified to add

OK, just ignore me. I was looking for Ashworth not Ash forth

Back to drawing board

Abraham Ashforth was from Sheffield - but it's unclear where his parents are from. He worked at Newton Chambers in Chapeltown - where his son Elijah worked also. Abraham married 3 times - first to Amelia Watson from Hoyland (who died in 1839), then to Elizabeth Wild (who was Elijah's mother, and died in 1858), and then he married Harriet Lowe (who died 1868), so Abraham was widowed 3 times.
Thank you for your help.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 May 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
CONTINUING THIS THREAD

Still looking for the parents (their marriage, siblings, abode, etc) of Abraham Ashforth - baptized 15 Sep 1802 at Sheffield, with parents called John and Hannah (John was a labourer according to the baptism record). Also, on Abraham's marriage to his third wife Harriet Lowe (nee Jackson), Abraham's father John is said to be a mason.
Thinking that the John and Hannah at Wentworth/Scholes are different to the ones I'm looking for - the John at Wentworth/Scholes is always said to be a fork maker/cutler.
The James Ashforth baptized at Sheffield in 1815 (with parents John and Hannah) doesn't seem to be a relation either - as his father John was a baker from Sheffield.

This family line is becoming quite a challenge now - every route I follow seems to lead to a dead end.  ???

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 August 16 16:03 BST (UK) »
CONTINUING THREAD

Still looking for the Ashforth's in this thread - seems almost impossible to trace them beyond Abraham's baptism in 1802 at Sheffield (Abraham being the son of John and Hannah).