Author Topic: Birth and Marriage  (Read 2915 times)

Offline wendi karen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth and Marriage
« on: Sunday 28 February 16 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all would it be possible for some help on a birth and marriage of Samuel Achurch(farmer) born around 1776 in St Neots,Huntingdonshire i believe he may have married a Sarah Ann ? around 1812.Samuel has one son for sure called Robert Achurch from St Neots Huntingdonshire according to Roberts marriage certificate
Thanks Wendi
Bean,Ellis, Achurch, Simms.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth and Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 February 16 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Wendi

St Neots baptism 5 Jan 1816 Robert son of Samuel & Sarah Anne Achurch, farmer.

The only earlier baptism of a child of Samuel and Sarah Ann that I can see is Ann on 25 Jan 1814, so unless there were earlier children baptised elsewhere it does seem that they married 1812/13. But there's no such marriage in Hunts.

Nor can I see a baptism in St Neots of a Samuel Achurch. There was a Robert Achurch baptising children in St Neots at about the right time, and the fact that Samuel named his first son Robert might indicate that Samuel's father was Robert, but you need more than naming patterns to prove that this was the case.

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 February 16 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Marriage (from image)
Rushden Northants
28 April 1812
Samuel Achurch & Sarah Ann Achurch
by licence

Baptism
Rushden Northants
23 Sept 1781
Samuel Achurch
parents Robert & Martha

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 February 16 09:21 GMT (UK) »
The earliest Achurch baptisms in St Neots were in 1775, 1778 and 1780, children of Robert and Elizabeth, yeoman. Then none until Samuel starting baptising children in 1814.

It's possible that Elizabeth died in 1780 and Robert remarried Martha in 1781. The dates would make the chronology just about possible. BUT an Elizabeth Achurch aged 74 was buried in St Neots in 1812, which looks suspiciously like the widow of Robert who died in 1801. The parish register of St Neots needs checking to see if any additional information is given, eg yeoman, widow. There are also burials in St Neots of a Samuel Achurch age 56 in 1831 and Sarah Ann age 76 in 1858

In 1851 living in St Neots were John Achurch head 29 b St Neots, Sarah Achurch mother widow 70 b Rushden; Ann Achurch unmarried sister 34 b St Neots; Elizabeth Achurch unm sister 30 b St Neots. So this appears to show that the marriage that Suz found in Rushden is the right one.

Other baptisms in St Neots, children of Samuel and Sarah Anne were
12 Feb 1818 Mary
29 Aug 1819 Elizabeth
10 Jan 1820 Elizabeth
13 Jan 1832 John aged 9

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline wendi karen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Firstly thanks  for the welcome I should of introduce myself first sorry, I did use rootschat years ago but not for a long time. I am allways grateful for the help I received so thanks a bunch
Wendi :)
Bean,Ellis, Achurch, Simms.

Offline Peter L. Mitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 November 19 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks.

This is an absolutely fabulous site that I discovered about 4 months ago. The level of support and knowledge is unbelievable!

I'm investigating the birth of Wilfred Harry Kirkup Berridge, born 2 July 1889 in Catworth, Huntingdonshire. I have his birth certificate from the GRO but there is no father recorded. I have a strong suspicion that the middle names - Harry Kirkup - might be a clue. Wilfred's mother (Sophia) didn't marry until 1897 (to a Jesse Millard). I've found no record of any father in Wilfred's life (census records for 1891 and 1901 show him living with his grandparents and Sophia living in Middlesex).

Is there any way of locating parish records that might have evidence of who Wilfred's father was, or who was being required to pay support?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks,
            Peter