Author Topic: Graveyards in Newton/St.Quivox area  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Graveyards in Newton/St.Quivox area
« on: Sunday 06 March 16 20:18 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching my family - the Browns in Ayr- for some time but have reached a point where I am stuck as there are just so many of them in the area.

I would like to find the parents/grandparents of John Brown and Mary Brown...

The 1841 census holds the following info:
John Brown 65 Sea Navy Pilot; Mary Brown 45; Alexander Brown 20; Margaret Brown 15; James Brown 10 living on Main St, parish of Newton on Ayr.
Then the 1851 census:
John Brown 65 (b Maybole); Mary Brown 56 (b Maybole); granddaughter Mary Brown 8 on Wallacestreet, Wallaceton, parish of Newton on Ayr.

I have traced the records for son Alexander Brown and also granddaughter Mary Brown, whose records do not give any further info on John and Mary (I can't find Alexander's birth record and he married before 1855 and died in Ireland, where the death record was less detailed and gave nothing on his parents).
Moreover I can't find the birth or marriage record for James Brown and there is no record of him after 1881. And I am not 100% sure about the info I have on Margaret Brown.

I believe Mary Brown's maiden name was either Niven or Shaw (and possibly Niel or Campbell) but without knowing this for sure I can't progress.

I therefore think I would like to now go and look at the graveyards in Newton area, where there may be something on John Brown atleast.
What would be the best graveyards to try if they lived in Wallaceton?

I'm about 4 hours away so it would be a big trip, but probably interesting to see the area atleast and I may find out something.

Thanks.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Graveyards in Newton/St.Quivox area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 March 16 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kipper,

Do you have dates of death for James and Mary?

St Quivox Churchyard is online at Find a Grave  - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GScid=2384781

I don't see your Browns listed unfortunately.

Looby

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 March 16 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you,  Looby.

I can't find when they died. The last record for them is the 1851 census in Wallacetown/Newton.

I think John may have died before the 1861 census but it's an assumption.
Mary (if she was Mary Shaw) appeared in Troon in the 1871 census with her in-laws, and died there in 1877.

Where would burial records be held for Wallacetown/Newton?

Thanks again.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure Kipper.

I'm in Ayrshire but do not live or have a connection with Ayr .....other than I married an Ayr Brown !!
I have never tried to trace my OH's family history yet as I reckoned being a Brown it would be difficult. Not to say I won't try sometime !!

John was a Sea Navy Pilot.....are there any naval / seaman's records for him?

Who do you think Margaret married? If indeed she did....

Looby

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 March 16 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Possibility for son James Brown on 1851 Census at 143 High Street Ayr -

MITCHELL   Archibald   Head   M   M   40   Carter Employing 3 Men    Ayrshire - Commonhead Ayr       
MCCONNELL   Mary   Wife   M   F   40   Carter's Wife    Ayrshire - Ayr       
MITCHELL   Archibald   Son   -   M   10   Scholar    Ayrshire - Ayr       
MITCHELL   James   Son   -   M   8   Scholar    Ayrshire - Ayr       
MITCHELL   John   Son   -   M   6   Scholar    Ayrshire - Ayr       
MITCHELL   Marion   Dau   -   F   4   At Home    Ayrshire - Ayr       
BROWN   James   Servnt   U   M   20   Carter    Ayrshire - Newton Upon Ayr       
MILLS   James   Servnt   U   M   22   Carter    Ayrshire - Town Of Ayr       

Like the fact this young man was born Newton Upon Ayr.

Burns Monument Centre in Kilmarnock (about 15 miles from Ayr) has many archives from Ayrshire held at it. It is also has access to Scotlands People online. Perhaps they will be able to tell you if burial records for Newton-upon-Ayr and Wallcetown exist.

Looby

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 March 16 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Looby.

I think that is James, and I have found that before. I also have the following records:

1861 census:On Wallace St, St Quivox
James Brown 29 Carter (b St Quivox) and wife Jane Brown 33 (b Newton).

1881 census: On 105 Wallace St, St Quivox
James Brown 48 Carter (out of employ), Jane Brown 53 wife, Archibald Stevenson 5 lodger (b Glasgow).

The Burns Monument Centre sounds good, thank you.

But can find nothing else. If their marriage was after 1855 there would be parental info. I just don't know where they went after 1881.

Offline sjmccall

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 13:29 GMT (UK) »
A long shot but I am researching a James Brown born in Ayr.  He is my husband's 2x g/grandfather.  He andh is family are a source of great frustration and have been for the whole of the fifteen years that I have attempted to research them.  He appears on the 1851,61 and 71 censuses.  In 1851 he was in Bo'ness, Linlithgowshire and in 1861 and 1871 was in Old Monkland, Lanarkshire.  I don't think he was in Bo'ness more than about  two or three years.  Children 1 and 2 born Barony or Springburn (varies according to which census)1843 and 1849, children 3,4 and 5 born in Bo'ness between 1849 and 1853 and child 5 born in Old Monkland. 1855  His trade was a carter although in 1851 he was recorded as a labourer.  I have found no marriage for him but  the one and only record of birth I have found gives his wife as Janet Wardrop (no e I don't think) born in Stonehouse.  Janet is another lady of mystery but that's another story.  All I know is that the census records James Brown as born in Ayr, Ayrshire so presumably Ayr town.  He was a carter and married Janet Wardrop at sometime unknown.  When Janet died in 1875 in Old Monkland her MS name was recorded as Montgomery to add to the confusion (I think that is wrong info. recorded).  James was alive at the time of Janets death as he was the informant.  He then disappears.   His birth year is difficult to estimate as there is conflicting census ages  but around 1811-1814 and consistently his place of birth is Ayr.  I haven't found him in 1841.  Do you recognize any connection with your Browns?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Kipper, St Quivox churchyard is about 3 miles from where your ancestors lived in Ayr. St. Quivox Church is an ancient church in a hamlet. There were other graveyards nearer.  There is another St. Quivox  Church in Whitletts , about 1 mile from Wallacetown & now a suburb of Ayr. 
 Newton- on- Ayr & Wallacetown are on the north side of the River Ayr, a short walk from Ayr town centre. Newton-on-Ayr was a separate burgh until the late 19th century, when it became part of Ayr.
Have you consulted Ayrshire Archives or local studies department at Carnegie Library, Ayr, ( South Ayrshire Libraries) ? Ayrshire is divided into 3 districts. Ayr is in South Ayrshire.
Have you tried Scotland's People?
Cowban

Offline sjmccall

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for potted geography of Ayr.  My parents married there but I know little about the area (I live 100s of miles south in Essex).  I have spent pound and pounds at Scotlandspeople but I really don't think the family registered their events even when it became compulsory.  I shall keep plodding away and hope eventually to find some answers.