Author Topic: Letitia Gillan---Help please  (Read 1948 times)

Offline wee mammy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Letitia Gillan---Help please
« on: Friday 11 March 16 06:39 GMT (UK) »
My dads uncle James Gillan married Catherine Gibbons 1st March 1890 in Glasgow James and Catherine both lived in the Gorbals at the time of their marriage, the witnesses were a Letitia Gillan and a Francis McKinley. i'm trying to find out if Letitia Gillan is any relation to James Gillan. I have tried Scotland's People and LDS family search and can't find the right one to confirm she is related or not. I have tried various ways when putting in the name with no luck.

James Gillan parents are William Gillan and Jane Black.  I know she is not a sister to James, think it's possible her father could be one of his dad William Gillan brothers,John, James or Alexander all born Ireland. Thanks in advance if anyone can give me ideas how to confirm parents of Letitia Gillan.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Letitia Gillan---Help please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 16 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought - I wonder if this person is a possible candidate in 1891 with a different spelling - Living at Barrhead and Levern, Renfrewshire?  In 1881 father listed as Joseph born Ireland :-\

Margaret Gilland    52b Ireland
Letilia Gilland 23 b Abbey, Renfrewshire
John Gilland 21
Elizabeth Gilland    21
Joseph Gilland 12
Thomas Morgan    9 Mths   Charge

Kay

Offline wee mammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 March 16 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your quick reply Kay99.  I did find the birth record for Letitia Gilland on Family search,i then tried to find her birth on Scotland's People with no luck. I also tried to find her on the the 1891 census. I did think Letitia was a good candidate as the family at one time did live in Abbey.          Thank you, now i have names of parents i will try and find out who Josephs parents were to connect them to my tree.

Wee mammy

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 March 16 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Is this the birth index you found for Letitia here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQZV-K99

The birth is there on Scotlands People. Just try searching births in 1866 for a Let* Gil* (* is the wildcard symbol to pick up on spelling variations), in Abbey, Renfrewshire Renfrewshire.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wee mammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 March 16 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Thanks for your quick reply. The Letitia Gilland i looked at had a estimated birth of 1868,i will go back on SP and type in the way you suggested and have a look at it, hopefully there will be more than one comes up on the page.

Wee mammy

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 March 16 17:33 GMT (UK) »
The 1866 birth will show where parents Joseph and Margaret married (likely in Ireland from what you have, can't see it in Scotland). You will need to check Joseph's death cert to confirm his parents won't you.

If Margaret was a widow by 1891, from Kay's census entry above, he must have died between 1881 - 1891.

Monica

ADDED: Possible death in 1886 in Barrhead for a Joseph GILAN born c. 1844.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wee mammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 March 16 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, i bought the death certificate from SP for Joseph Gillan, his parents were Joseph Gillan and   Margaret Maxwell. I suppose they could still be related somewhere, at this point i cant see it. I will have to keep looking and hope i can find the Letitia Gillan to connect to my tree.  Monica and Kay thank you for your input and trying to steer me in the right direction.

Wee mammy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 March 16 10:56 GMT (UK) »
The Letitia Gilland i looked at had a estimated birth of 1868

You cannot correctly 'calculate' a year of birth from an age in the census. This is because the census was always (except in 1841) taken around the end of March. Therefore people are three times more likely not to have had a birthday in census year so far, so by the end of the year three out of four people will be a year older. Only one in four people will already have had their birthday in census year, so only one in four 'calculations' will get the right answer.

The one in the 1891 census was listed as 23. If that was accurate, then she was born in 1867 or 1868. If her age in the census is just one year out, which is not unheard of, she could have been born in 1866 or 1867.

The 1881 census transcription I have says that Joseph Gilland, 36, alum work stoker, born Ireland, was living at Whyte's Land, Dunlop Street, Abbey (i.e. Paisley), Renfrewshire with wife Margaret, 37, born Ireland and five children, the eldest being daughter Letitia, cotton mill worker, 14, born Abbey. An age of 14 in the 1881 census is spot on for someone born on 7 November 1866. This family matches the births in the IGI at FamilySearch to Joseph Gilliland and Margaret Wigans. The Irish Civil Registration indexes on FamilySearch list the marriage of Joseph Gilleland at Cootehill in 1865, Volume 18, Page 153, and there is an exactly matching listing for Margaret Wiggins. Cootehill is in County Cavan, in the Republic of Ireland.

William Gillan, aged 42, boiler maker, born Kirkintilloch, was at 4 Spring Lane, Govan in 1881 with wife Jane, 42, born Glasgow and six children including James, 17, rivetter, born Greenock. There is also a nephew, James McVey, 16, iron moulder, born Glasgow. (I speculate that this is the illegitimate son of Jane Gillan, born in Hutchesontown on 25 February 1865.)

William Gillan and Jane Black were married in Hutchesontown on 27 May 1861. Their marriage certificate will tell you the names of William's parents.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wee mammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi forfarian, Sorry for the late reply,i have been busy and my family have caught a bug that is going around. I understand that the ages on the censuses are not accurate so i usually try within a 5 to 10  year gap,i think my problem may be in the way i enter the name to get the best results.

I do know the names of William Gillan parents and grandparents, i was hoping the Letitia Gillan who was a witness at William Gillan sons marriage was related to this family possibly a cousin. Thanks for the marriage info on family search, i will check it out today. Forfarian you are right thinking James McVey is the son of Jane Gillan, his parents married when he was about 4 years old and his mother died when he was about 14 years old and then he went to live with his uncle and family. Thank you for your help,it was appreciated.

Wee mammy