Author Topic: Looking for death of my Grandfather James Benzie Craig  (Read 6836 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death of my Grandfather James Benzie Craig
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 15:03 GMT (UK) »
THe wife of Thomas James Craig (son of James and Dorothy) was Laurea Craig nee Rabideau born 11 December 1923 Mooers Forks, Clinton, New York,  passed away 1 September 2013 Plattsburgh, Clinton, New York.

Obituary - Laurea Craig - Keeseville - Laurea Craig, 89, of Front Street, Keeseville, died Sunday, September 1, 2013 at the CVPH Medical Center in Plattsburgh.

She was born in Mooers Forks, December 11, 1923, the daughter of Mose and Albina (Renaud) Rabideau. Laurea grew up in Mooers Forks and attended school in the Northern Tier. She worked at the slipper factory following high school and later moved to Albany. Laurea married Thomas J. Craig August 24, 1950 in Bel Air, Maryland. He died July 7, 1981. She enjoyed reading, caring for her plants plants, and travelling etc etc..................

Burial - private and at the convenience of the family in St. Agnes Cemetery in Menands, NY

http://hamiltonfuneralhome.com/tribute/details/182/Laurea-Craig/obituary.html

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 15:08 GMT (UK) »
In the directory.....

The abbreviation b. indicates that he was a boarder at 274 Rideau in 1916. If they were still using that address in 1923/4 they were perhaps only in Hull for a short time.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 15:27 GMT (UK) »
The address of 274 Rideau was a business address for Jones and Stevens which is who James  was employed by.
Going back to James's middle name of Benzie could it possibly be his mothers maiden name it is such a unusual middle name. My uncles middle name was Large and that was my great grandmothers maiden name.

I have put in a request to the Ottawa Public Library to see if they can find how long  James was  working for Jones and Stevens and how long he might of lived in Hull.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 15:33 GMT (UK) »
This may be time consuming, but there are 9 other boarders living in the household in the 1911 Census who are all stone workers in some capacity.  Have you tracked down all of them to see if you find James with them in a later census or elsewhere? I would start with the two that were Scottish.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Going back to James's middle name of Benzie could it possibly be his mothers maiden name it is such a unusual middle name.
The familysearch record of James' father John has 'John Craig or Benzie' father Henry Craig, mother Jane Benzie born 26 Jan 1861 Huntly, Aberdeenshire. So it appears Benzie is 'our' James' grandmother's name.  Maybe Henry & Jane were not married if the entry is Craig or Benzie.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYB7-LWP
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 16:03 GMT (UK) »
This may be time consuming, but there are 9 other boarders living in the household in the 1911 Census who are all stone workers in some capacity.  Have you tracked down all of them to see if you find James with them in a later census or elsewhere? I would start with the two that were Scottish.

To summarise - Possible sightings James Craig have been found on the 1911 census - city directories for Ottawa 1913/14/16 and 1923 - married on the 1921 Canadian census in Ville de Hull, Hull, Quebec and then crossing the border in 1923/24 when they go to live in Albany New York. The family then appear on the 1925, 1930 and 1940 Census in Albany New York.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 16:21 GMT (UK) »
1945 newspaper record of Thomas' wounding indicates he is son of Mrs. Dorothy Craig, which suggests that James is deceased.  Looking for his death record in that timeframe in Albany may prove or disprove if he is the right guy.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 16:28 GMT (UK) »
He consistently uses James A. as his proper name. 1938 Albany Directory shows him and Dorothy at 23 Elberon Place, and he is working at a granite and marble works at 505 S. Pearl.  1947 Directory has Dorothy living on her own at 254 Ontario Street. 1946 directory lists her as the widow of James.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Looking for his death record in that timeframe in Albany may prove or disprove if he is the right guy.
So the time frame is between 1940 [census as Creig] and 1945 [Thomas' wounding].  You've all managed to narrow it down well  ;).

As the time span is small, I wonder if remote searches can be requested here:
Local Registrar
City of Albany
Room 254M
City Hall
Albany, NY 12207

https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/genealogy.htm
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON