Author Topic: Looking for death of my Grandfather James Benzie Craig  (Read 6833 times)

Offline Trustach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary Taylor Gerrie & Alexander Watson
    • View Profile
Looking for death of my Grandfather James Benzie Craig
« on: Tuesday 15 March 16 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,
Greetings from bonny Scotland!
 I hope some kind soul can help me solve the riddle of what happened to my paternal Grandfather who emigrated to Portland, Maine, on 25 November 1910, leaving from Glasgow on the Sicilian, Allen Line Steamship Co Ltd, to find work as a Granite Cutter.
Sadly he never returned home and my Grandmother subsequently obtained a divorce on 26 May 1938 at Aberdeen (reason being, address unknown). He left behind a young family including my father who was only a few months old.
I managed to trace him on the 1911 Canada Census, Province Quebec, District Stanstead. He is shown as working as a Granite Cutter in Beebe plain village.   It is interesting that he is shown as single which may be a clerical error, or perhaps he did not intend to return to his family?

I would be eternally grateful if any record could be found of my grandfather marrying, having a family or and record of his death or burial.  I have researched in the Scottish and English records and found nothing.

I must apologise if I have rambled on a bit and I would love to hear from anyone who can help.

Thank you so much

Watson - Banchory Ternan, Old Machar
Pirie - Slains, New Deer, Old Deer
Gerrie - Aberdeen
Thom(p)son - Caithness

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death of my Grandfather James Benzie Craig
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 16:53 GMT (UK) »
When and where was he born
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 17:47 GMT (UK) »
U.S., Atlantic Ports Passenger Lists, 1820-1873 and 1893-1959 for James Craig - born 1884 - departing Glasgow 26 November 1910 arriving Portland Maine 6 December 1910 on the Silician - wife Mrs Joan Craig - 32 Gerrard Street Aberdeen.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 17:51 GMT (UK) »
1911 Census for Stanstead Quebec - gives the birth date as May 1884 - aged 27 years - boarder - single and granite cutter as you said -

Doesn't appear to be any attestation papers for a James B Craig

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/canadian-expeditionary-force.aspx

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Still searching the 1921....
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Trustach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
When and where was he born
Hello Rosie and thank you for replying. My grandfather was born on 27 May 1884 at 6 shore Lane, Aberdeen, Scotland.
Gerrie - Aberdeen
Thom(p)son - Caithness

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately there are no Central registries/indexes in Canada for BMDs.  Canada has very strict privacy laws and each province imposes its own even further.  Additionally, some provinces are more research friendly than others so researching in Canada can be challenging. As a guide BMD Records are only available for births more than a 100 years ago, marriages 80 years ago and deaths 70 years ago. Trying to trace modern day families in Canada can depend on newspaper announcements, cemetery records, obituaries, telephone directories etc., So you can see how strict privacy laws are.  Not finding James on the 1921 census so far. Doesn't appear on USA-  SSDI records which were up and running by 1962 ish.  Not picking him up on border crossing to USA but there were many places to cross and not all were recorded.

Sandra

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at the US censuses too, but none coming up with that occupation; of course he may have changed job. Shame he didn't seem to use his middle initial.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Trustach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 19:34 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at the US censuses too, but none coming up with that occupation; of course he may have changed job. Shame he didn't seem to use his middle initial.
Hello Josey,
 Yes I did wonder about the fact that he may have been in the US, as the border line between Canada and the US ran straight through the middle of the Beebe Plain village where he stayed as per the 1911 Canada census.  I feel that I am looking for a needle in a haystack! It is a pity that he did not use his middle initial as it is a very common name.
Thank you for trying to help.
Gerrie - Aberdeen
Thom(p)son - Caithness