Author Topic: Wilfred Allan Plummer  (Read 1990 times)

Offline tomba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Wilfred Allan Plummer
« on: Monday 21 March 16 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Wilfred Allan Plummer was born on 26 Mar 1902 in Penrith, Cumberland, England as the first child of James Plummer and Edith Antoinette Chicken. He married Margaret Elizabeth Thomson, I understand he was a Mercury Boy and in the British Navy towards the end of WW1, he was on a number of ships/ subs I have got information from the National archives but it only mentions the following ships I am a bit confused over the information
Fisgard 4/1/1918
Victory II,
Queen Elizabeth,
Revenge,
Vernon,
Dophin,
Cyclops (L18) 
can anyone enlighten me apparently whilst serving on board the HMS Dolphin, he received the Distinguished Service Cross, his rank was Commissioned Engineer why I cannot find out
tomba
McGuffog, Grieve, Broadfoot, Flett, Rigg, Riddick, Gillies, Jobson, Gillies, Bath, Hanna, Betterridge, Ellem,

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilfred Allan Plummer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 16 08:24 GMT (UK) »
The record is on findmypast, they have an offer of a sub for a month for just £1, if you wish to view yourself.  If you subscribe, don't forget to untick the renewal box.

Quote ref.   1WORLD16

Will ask for this to be moved to the armed forces board, as many with knowledge will be able to explain the record better.

Wilfred Allan Plummer
Service number   M28795
Birth 26 Mar 1902
Birth place   Lowther, Westmorland, England
Archive reference   ADM 188/1075/28795
Royal Navy Seamen 1899-1919
Military, armed forces & conflict
Service Records, Great Britain
Copyright of National Archives
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline tomba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 16 08:40 GMT (UK) »
thankyou for that, that's about all the info I seem to be able to find
his father was James plummer and Edith Antoinette Chicken / kitchen
his father was dec by 1911 and his mother was working as a servant
McGuffog, Grieve, Broadfoot, Flett, Rigg, Riddick, Gillies, Jobson, Gillies, Bath, Hanna, Betterridge, Ellem,

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 16 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Marriages Jun 1895 
Chicken Edith  Antoinette Wandsworth    1d   1179    
Plummer James               Wandsworth    1d   1179    

Births Dec 1873   
Chicken Edith Antoinette   Wandsworth 1d   600   

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK6Y-Y931 1881 for Edith and family

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QSHL-Z6Z  1891 for Edith and family

James Plummer   33 Coachman (Domestic) Norfolk, England   
Edith M Plummer, wife 26, London
Ernest J Plummer, Son 5, Penrith, Cumberland
John   Patman, Boarder, Single, 20, Groom (Domestic)   Folkingham, Lincolnshire,
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 March 16 14:53 GMT (UK) »
This needs further research but I believe he was awarded the DSC for his part in the torpedoing of the German crusier KARLSRUHE in 1940, which was later sunk by the Germans themselves. There is a notice in the London Gazette that lists a Wilfred Alfred Plummer receiving the DSC - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34845/supplement/2786/data.pdf. Having looked at the Navy List for 1939 no DSC and in 1941 his DSC is shown, hence why I think it's the same man.

From the Malta Family History index of RN: James Arthur PLUMMER, the son of Margaret Elizabeth and Wilfred Allan Plummer, 59 Strada Imrabat, Sliema, E.R.A., Royal Navy, born 29th October 1828 (assume this should be 1928)

Martin

Offline tomba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 April 16 06:53 BST (UK) »
This is all the info I have on the family

Wilfred Allan Plummer

Wilfred Allan Plummer was born on 26 Mar 1902 in Penrith, Cumberland, England (Lowther Westmorland ?? as the second child of James Plummer and Edith Antornette Chicken). He had one sibling, namely: Earnest James. He died in Jan 1990 in Tavistock, Cornwall, Devon, England (Death Age (est): 87). When he was 23, he married Margaret Elizabeth Thomson,daughter of Samuel Thomson and Sarah Ann Ducker, in Jun 1925 in Portsmouth, Southampton.

Wilfred Allan Plummer lived in Exbury, Hampshire, England on 02 Apr 1911 (Age: 9; Relation to Head of House: Boarder at the house of Matthew Parrington). He served in the military between 1914–1920 in Europe. He served in the military on 04 Jan 1918 (Age: 15 per ship Fisgard Service number: M28795). He served in the military on 23 Nov 1926 (Last service date er shipr cyclops). He served in the military between 1933–1948 (Navy List: January, 1933 Soldier, Veteran & Prisoner Rolls & Lists). He arrived in Southampton, England on 18 May 1934 (Age: 32). He departed from New York, New York, United States.

Wilfred Allan Plummer and Margaret Elizabeth Thomson had the following children:

Richard A (Dick) Plummer was born in Jun 1926 in Portsmouth, Hampshire. He died on 15 Aug 2010 in Saltash, Cornwall, England (Age: 84). He married Rose Bence in Mar 1948 in Portsmouth, Hampshire.
James (Jim) Plummer was born about 1930 in Henstead, Norfolk,England.
Patrick I (Paddy) Plummer was born in Sep 1931 in Henstead, Norfolk,England

Margaret Elizabeth Thomson was born on 25 May 1897 in Lambeth, Middlesex, England as the third child of Samuel Thomson and Sarah Ann Ducker.She had five siblings, namely: Annie, Robert Sandford, Jessie Agnes, Philip Joseph Broadfoot, and John Blake.She died in Jan 1990 in Tavistock, Cornwall, Devon, England (Death Age (est): 92).When she was 28, she married Wilfred Allan Plummer,son of James Plummer and Edith Antornette Chicken, in Jun 1925 in Portsmouth, Southampton.

Margaret Elizabeth Thomson was baptized on 28 Jul 1897 in Brixton St John The Evangelist, England.She lived in Lambeth, London, England in 1901 (Age: 3; Relation to Head: Daughter).She lived in Lambeth, London, England on 02 Apr 1911 (Age: 13; Relation to Head of House: Daughter living at 54 Gresham Road, Brixton, S W ,).

Richard A (Dick) Plummer was born in Jun 1926 in Portsmouth, Hampshire as the first child of Wilfred Allan Plummer and Margaret Elizabeth Thomson. He had two siblings, namely: James (Jim), and Patrick I (Paddy). He died on 15 Aug 2010 in Saltash, Cornwall, England (Age: 84). When he was 21, he married Rose Bence,daughter of Unknown Bence and Unknown Sandoe, in Mar 1948 in Portsmouth, Hampshire.

Richard A (Dick) Plummer served in the military in 1956 (Commisioned Engineer). He served in the military in 1959 (Engineer Lieutenant ). He served in the military in 1962 (Engineer Lieutenant ME Oct 1 ). He served in the military in 1964 (Engineer Lieutenanat ME SM Oct 1. He served in the military in 1970 (Engineer Lieutenant ME (SM) ).

Richard A (Dick) Plummer and Rose Bence had the following children:

James (Jim) Plummer was born about 1930 in Henstead, Norfolk,England as the second child of Wilfred Allan Plummer and Margaret Elizabeth Thomson. He had two siblings, namely: Richard A (Dick), and Patrick I (Paddy).

Patrick I (Paddy) Plummer was born in Sep 1931 in Henstead, Norfolk,England as the third child of Wilfred Allan Plummer and Margaret Elizabeth Thomson.He had two siblings, namely: Richard A (Dick), and James (Jim).

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 April 16 08:22 BST (UK) »
Some of the names in your list in your original post, I believe to be shore depots.

Fishguard  is probably the name of the town/port.   and I believe  Vernon  is the name of a shore depot (on the South coast of England, I think).

The Royal Navy gives names to all its establishments.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 April 16 08:33 BST (UK) »
I suggest that you do a google search on "HMS Vernon Crew List"
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 April 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
FISGARD Training Ship Portsmouth. Towed to Scapa Flow 16/09/1914
also FISGARD formerly SPARTIATE 17/07/1915 Mechanical Training Establishment Chatham.

VICTORY  II   Crystal Palace/Sydenham Training Depot for RN Divisions

QUEEN ELIZABETH Portland/Portsmouth Training Ship Accommodation Ship.

REVENGE Battleship 25,750 tons   

VERNON Training Establishment Portsmouth

DOLPHIN Submarine Depot and School Gosport

CYCLOPS Repair Ship/Submarine Repair Ship?

To reinforce the opinion of crimea1854. From the Worlds Naval Ships Forum.

LG 090540 - Successful submarine operations against the enemy
Torpedoed the German Cruiser KARLSRUHE in the Skagerrak 100440
She was sunk by her own forces next day
HUTCHINSON Christopher Haynes LtCdr DSO 110640
BROOKES Russell Stanhope Lt DSC 020740
PLUMMER Wilfred Alfred WtEng DSC 020740
WHITEWAY-WILKINSON Reginald Denis Lt DSC 020740 #P33
ADAMS Ronald Albert P/J 107099 CPO(TC) DSM 180341
BROAD Dennis D/M 37912 CERA DSM 180543
DISNEY James Joubert D/J 52736 AB DSM 190542
FISHER Augustus John 14400 RAN PO(TGM) DSM Presented
GOLDSACK Ernest Henry C/KX 78318 Sto1 DSM 090243
KEMBER Ernest Kynoch D/JX 133432 LTel DSM 280742
KING Charles William D/J 66612 POTel DSM NOK #Undaunted
LEAR Cyril John Henry D/M 34923 ERAI DSM 281041
MERRITT Ralph Edward EA1 DSM 090243
FOLWELL Frank C/J 104749 PO MID N/A
MANSFIELD Bernard RNR Lt MID N/4
REDWOOD Archibald Ian D/J 114743 PO MID N/A
RENAUT Arthur Alexander A   C/MX 49053 LCk MID N/A
WATSON Donald Eric Ogilvy Lt MID N/A #Unbeaten

As far as I am aware RN ships did not keep Crew Lists.

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022