Author Topic: Photo of Gertrude Ling or May Martin, London early 1900s? Help with date please  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Kylajane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would be so grateful for help dating this photo of my husband's grandmother's sister please. She was adopted in 1901 and we think her name may have been changed. This postcard with photo of May was sent from her adopted mother to her younger sister (Edith Avery nee Ling, b1893 d1983). as you will see the stamp and therefore any date has been removed. All that remains of the frank (Wil) I think will stand for Willesden. The company who produced the card is A & G Taylor's Reality Series. Sadly Edith lost touch with her sister Gertrude/ May and we have been unable to discover what happened to her. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
Ling, Hicks, Turton, Martin, Airey, Jackson

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of Gertrude Ling or May Martin, London early 1900s? Help with date please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 23:55 GMT (UK) »
A little bit about A & G Taylor's Reality Series here: http://www.metropostcard.com/publisherst.html

As I'm sure someone else will ask, can you show the back of the postcard? I know that whether it has a divided back or not will help with the dating.

Offline Kylajane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of Gertrude Ling or May Martin, London early 1900s? Help with date please
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help. Yes I found out a fair bit about the Reality Series, but nothing that helped me date it. I hesitated to show the back because of the copyright issue. I have read (lots of times!) the rules about copyright from links on this site & as far as I can understand it, the picture should be well out of copyright by now. Also all the people in the images (or whom I might discuss by name) are deceased. Also it is quite a sad thing that we have the letter of adoption in 1901 and then just this one postcard. I think that Ada Caroline Ling (mother to Edith and Gertrude/May Martin probably had no option but to relinquish her daughter as her husband had recently died (we think in 1900 - but not definite yet). I suspect it might have been a choice between that or the workhouse :( Well here is the reverse of the card. You can just make out the signature on the bottom as F Martin (Florence Martin, her adoptive mother). Thanks again.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Others on here are more knowledgeable than me, but the divided back postcard was introduced in England in 1902, so must be later than that.  ;) Hopefully someone else will be along soon to help with the dating.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 10:36 GMT (UK) »
It's difficult to put an exact date to this on the way children are dressed as they dressed like this over a long period. The teachers are dressed in a style typical of the early to mid Edwardian Era.
However you can see at the top it says that A & G Taylor held a Royal Warrant to Queen Victoria who they describe as  "the late" (d.1901) so very close to being one of the first divided back postcards. I would have to say 1902-3. So she would have been about 10/11 in this.

Unless I've misread this it looks like a sibling writing to Edith. It mentions May who you say is Gertrude. So why is it signed by the adoptive mother?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Kylajane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you jim1. Yes I noticed the bit about the royal warrant, but glad you can tell me about the style of dress. I was just trying to go by the age she looks on the photo. Also that we know she was adopted in 1901 and the postcard must have come after that. I do think it is from Florence (the adoptive Mum to Gertrude/ May's sister Edith. I think the girl's Mother (Ada Caroline Ling nee Yates) was probably unwell, so they are corresponding through Edith? Thing is - we can Find Florence & Raymond Martin at 7 Kilburn Sq (the same address that is also on the letter of adoption) on the 1901 census, but nothing definite of them before or after and no marriage that I can find. Also for Gertrude, no definite birth. She appears with Edith on the 1901 census living with an Aunt at 45 Victoria Road, Willesden. Family info through my husband's mother (Edith's daughter) is that Gertrude was born in 1891. My husband's mother was pretty reliable and as you see from the photo, she wrote on them to say who people were, which is a great help to us now! There is a baptism record for a May Ling in 1901, which has to be 'our' May (father deceased) but the info in the left column appears to give the actual dob as 1894 (which would make her younger than Edith, not older). We think this is the adoptive parents having Gertrude baptised as May - it's the only thing that seems to fit - except for the 1894 bit.... Anyway what I am saying is that anything that helps us to narrow down dates is really helpful and that my guess at the date of the photo agrees with yours. Still a lot more to unravel. Thanks again.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 14:41 GMT (UK) »
It starts by saying "please thank mother for her letter" not your mother which sounds like a sibling other than Gertrude/May. However as there are no other siblings I suppose it must be the adoptive mother, but it does seem a strange way of writing it.
I can see 1901 the Baptism & it does say Aug. 1904.
The only one I can see which you probably know about is this one:
Mar 1893
Ling  Gertrude Elsie M   Paddington  1a 30

I also noticed this marriage. Is this her?
Jun 1914
Ling  Gertrude M  Willesden  3a 470 
Nobbs  Ernest 
Details:
By Banns at St. Martin's Willesden on 13 June 1914.
Ernest Nobbs Bachelor 25.
Gertrude Maria Ling Spinster 22.Father Benjamin ? Ling a labourer.
One of the witnesses is Katie Eliza Ling.

Wrong one.

Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I gave it a bit of a tidy for you...not great but it is very damaged.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 15:19 GMT (UK) »
You are actually very lucky to have a postcard that can be dated with quite a bit of precision! In addition to Jim's comments, divided backs actually have events in postal regulations that can be used for dating.

In the UK the divided back came along in 1902, and it was in 1907 that the US allowed that sort of card to be received into the US mail system. Prior to that, some UK cards with divided backs were printed with a message to the effect that they could only be mailed inland, not overseas.

So, as Jim notes it may be an early divided back, and 1907 is the latest it can be. Unless they left the thing lying in a drawer for a while...I have some junk drawers like that  :)

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull