Author Topic: So many Deaths.......  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
So many Deaths.......
« on: Saturday 24 July 04 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I am sure everyone on RootsChat has unearthed some sort of tragedy in their family tree.

I am saddened by the deaths of so many children in mine.

My 3rd Great grandparents on the Fisher side had 10 children. Only 4 survived childhood. In one instance they lost a son and daughter within one week.

Strangely my Great grandparents also lost a son and a daughter within weeks.

I wonder how we would cope with such tragedy these days?

I suppose  death was an every day fact of life for the people back then and they were much more involved in the actual arrangements than we are.

Because we have been distanced from death we can't imagine how they lived with such heartache.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this rather depressing but important subject.

Aaron

Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: So many Deaths.......
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 July 04 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Aaron,
I don't think we can begin to imagine the trauma and heartache of  losing a child or children .  It must affect those concerned very deeply.
Maybe because it was not a rare event (as today)people accepted it, that's not to say that they were not affected by it.  When I was at the Record Office yesterday - searching again! I noticed that on several pages there were many many deaths recorded of children and they had been annotated "Diptheria"  "Scarletina" some I recall from the same family, diseases which today are prevented by vaccination and are rare.  It certainly made me think at the time how sad that period of time must have been for the families.
I'm sure there is a link somewhere  where you can find out when  disease outbreaks occurred - Chris do you know?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 04 17:01 BST (UK) »
I just found out this week that my great-great grandmother's next younger sister lost all three of her little girls in one week to diphtheria.  They were aged 8, 5 and about 6 months.  In later years she lost her eldest son aged 23, although I don't know the cause yet.  She went on to have further children but how heartbreaking it must have been.

Sometimes I really feel for my ancestors.
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Grandad james

• Rest in Peace Jim Ellis
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • FamilyHistory addict. My problems are all relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 July 04 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I believe the name of the book was something like "Less than a pound a week" and it mentioned that in London in the late 1800s the first thing most parents did was to take out the 1d a week burial insurance plan.
They were earning less than £1 per week and could be paying up wards of 10d on Insurance ... almost a days wages.

Grandad James.
BOORER/BORER/BORRER/BOARER,Origins in
Surrey,Sussex,Kent and London.
BOORER/BORER? Registered One Name Study -WORLDWIDE.
ELLIS Richmond Surrey. Fletching Sussex
FREEMAN Chertsey , Isleworth Middx and Richmond Surrey.

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 July 04 18:41 BST (UK) »
My grandmother took out penny policies on my Mum and Uncle when they were born.  Mum used to say " i hope i dont go first beause i'd love to know how much they'll pay out".  Mum died about 5 years ago and the penny policy was paid up to date...(68years).  the policy paid out £150.   lol   I suppose in the 1930's there would have been enough to cover all the funeral costs.

---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 August 04 10:13 BST (UK) »
Whilst researching my tree I came across some very distantly relations who had triplets - Faith, Hope and Charity - born October 1836.  Charity died 14th Nov 1836, Hope died 1st Dec 1836 and Faith died 4th Dec 1836.  Have also come across quite a few twins in my family where only one survived.

Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 August 04 13:53 BST (UK) »
We were in Australia a couple of years ago and visited one of the German cemeteries near the Clare Valley, not far from Adelaide. What struck me was a row of headstones, all of the same style from a family who lost 12 children in near enough consecutive years. Not only had the parents been persecuted enough to leave their home country, and endure the hardships of setting up somewhere completely different with a foreign language, but to lose so many offspring....

My 3x grandmother married when she was 18, had 3 children and was widowed by the time she was 25. She lived until she was over 80, and never remarried.

It makes you stop and think how good we actually do have it these days.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 19:55 BST (UK) »
My late grandmother married when she was 21 and was widowed after about 8 years of marriage.  I always used to think it was because of devotion to his memory that she never remarried, until in her last years, she told me that she shouldn't have married him, because she didn't love him.  Apparently the man she'd been pining for all those years was one Walter Patterson, a Canadian airman, who'd asked her parents for her hand and had been turned down, because they didn't like the idea of their Joan living so far away from them.  Imagine that she could remember his name after so many years - I can't remember my boyfriends!  Instantly forgettable, the lot of them!
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 21:46 BST (UK) »

That's a sad story MrsLizzy :(

I imagine a lot of people, women especially, have had their lives ruined because their parents held them back.

I expect distance lent enchantment to the airman - we always want what we can't have ::)

My mother always said that I could do whatever I wanted as long as it was legal  ;)

Cheers
Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk