Author Topic: Your Genealogy Claim to Fame?  (Read 20014 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Genealogy Claim to Fame?
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 20:23 BST (UK) »
I am related to the Krays through their mother. Violet Lee, mother Mary Ann Houghton, who was the daughter of Thomas Pitt Houghton, Thomas' mother was Mary Diggins, and her mother was Mary Obey, sister of my ancestor John, who were Huguenots. I think the Kray line can be traced in London at least back to the late 1700s.

I have found surnames used as first names in my Suffolk ancestry. Also mothers maiden surnames used as middle names of children. In Foulness my ancestor John Webb wed a Mary Newman Smith in 1780.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 20:33 BST (UK) »
My grand-dad had the middle name of Elson which had been passed down through about 4 or 5 generations and turns out to be the maiden surname of one of his ancestors.  I don't know why he didn't use it on any of his 4 sons though.....
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 21:21 BST (UK) »
My grand-dad had the middle name of Elson which had been passed down through about 4 or 5 generations and turns out to be the maiden surname of one of his ancestors.  I don't know why he didn't use it on any of his 4 sons though.....

Don't you? I remember a kid I knew from primary school and Sea Scouts who was always known as "Elson" for no real reason. He was quite happy with this until it was pointed out to him that it was the brand name of a contemporary (1950's and 60's) portable chemical toilet.  ;D ;D ;D
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 21:50 BST (UK) »
It's long been mentioned in my family that we are related to Grace Darling ( lighthouse keepers daughter, famed in early 1800's for rescuing many from a stricken ship near to Lonstone lighthouse).  I haven't been going long enough with my family research to uncover the connection if there is one at all.

I was very impressed to see that my 2nd Great Uncle went on to become Mayor of Durham, elected to the post twice.  His son, my 1st cousin twice removed was also elected Mayor of Durham.  I was pretty impressed with this coming from a long line of agricultural labourers and miners.

Shame my descendants won't make such interesting discoveries about me   ;D

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 22:00 BST (UK) »

Don't you? I remember a kid I knew from primary school and Sea Scouts who was always known as "Elson" for no real reason. He was quite happy with this until it was pointed out to him that it was the brand name of a contemporary (1950's and 60's) portable chemical toilet.  ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

Yes that could be it, 1920's for his kids....
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 22:15 BST (UK) »
It's long been mentioned in my family that we are related to Grace Darling ( lighthouse keepers daughter, famed in early 1800's for rescuing many from a stricken ship near to Lonstone lighthouse).  I haven't been going long enough with my family research to uncover the connection if there is one at all.

That's strange. I was always told that my family was also related to Grace Darling. Like you, I've found no connection yet.

(She is one of two famous figures from history that I was supposedly related to. The other turned out to be nonsense, so I'm not holding out much hope for Grace.)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 22:22 BST (UK) »
I have a Northumberland Hall connection like you , on my paternal side and my grandfathers middle name was Hall after his grandmothers maiden name, so maybe that's where the Darling link is.

However it was always my mother who mentioned the Grace darling connection and my father doesn't really know much about his family so I suspect if anything it must be along my maternal side.

I'm going to have to have another rummage around the ancestors in that area again.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 31 March 16 11:23 BST (UK) »

;D ;D ;D

Elsan  with an 'a' - Oh Lordy I remember them well.  Commonly known as 'bucket lavs' goodness only knows where dad used to empty the thing.
And...Elsan still make them today for caravans etc.

I don't have any claims to fame that I know of.  Although my husbands cousin was at a party where she danced with and was asked out on a date by one of the Kray twins.  I believe she politely declined his offer.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 31 March 16 13:10 BST (UK) »
I may be related to Bernie Ecclestone. He has a Tiffin line from Halstead in Essex. I have a Sarah Tiffin in my tree who married in nearby Wethersfield to Andrew Page in 1759.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain