Author Topic: John Hughes and Sarah Spence, Carmarthen  (Read 978 times)

Offline Caliandris

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great grandmother, Lottie Dickins
    • View Profile
John Hughes and Sarah Spence, Carmarthen
« on: Sunday 27 March 16 11:40 BST (UK) »
I have brickwalls all round in Carmarthen.  My three greats grandfather was Charles Henry Hughes, born around 1807 and died 1879.  He was a solicitor, borough treasurer and Land tax commissioner, who served on the council too. Both his parents and his partner are brickwalls for me.  His father was John Edward Hughes, dry salter, shipowner and merchant, who lived in Quay Street.  He ws born around 1765 and died in 1829 in Carmarthen, having served as a councillor and three terms as mayor for the town.  I've found lots of detail about this man, and his family, and have his will but I have never found any thing about his birth or parents.  His brother was Edward Hughes, Vicar of Tenby, and his daughter Sophia married Lewis Morris.

Sarah Spence also from Carmarthen born around 1769, died 1847, is another brickwall.  She had a Spence relative living with her, according to John's will, who seems to have been born in London, although most Spences seem to originate from Orkney.  I have found no Spences in the region except for a Graeme Spence, Admiralty surveyor, whose dates seem a bit late for him to have been her father, although the newspaper report of her marriage in 1795 talked about her being of the town and peculiarly accomplished. Graeme Spence was born in Orkney, but I can find no birth of a Sarah in Orkney at the right date.

Charles Henry Hughes, like his brothers, never married his partner Ann Jones, although he had a number of children with her and never sought to avoid his parental responsibilities. He lived with the children after the death of his mother and the presumed death of their mother.  Jones is a terrible name to research in Carmarthen.  Her mother was Mary Jones, also a terrible name to research, and they were together with the Hughes children for the 1841 and 1851 census.

I would be grateful for any ideas of where to research, and especially if anyone knows of any headstones or memorials relating to this family.  They all lived in Quay Street, Carmarthen.
Spivey, Hughes, Jones Carmarthen 19th c
Spivey, Armitage in Almondbury, Yorkshire 18th c
Dickins Staffordshire and Birmingham 18th and 19th c
Aldridge, Robey, Jearrad in London 18th and 19th
Pitt and Westlake Devon 17th and 18th c
Earwaker London and Hampshire 18th and 19th
Fitzpatrick in The Rower, Kilkenny, Ireland
Clarke, Hewitt, Starkey, Green in Cheshire 19th and 20th

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Hughes and Sarah Spence, Carmarthen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 16 12:16 BST (UK) »
I can help you with Charles Henry's birth & baptism

There's a baptism at Carmarthen St Peter 1 Dec 1807 for Charles Henry, son of John & Sarah Huges, date of birth noted as 9 Nov 1807.

There's the marriage by licence of John Spence to Anne Arthur 20 Nov 1794 in Llangain, a few miles from Carmarthen. He is noted on the marriage as being of Bridgewater in Somerset.
Do you have a copy of the licence for Sarah & John to see if it has any further info? You can get a copy from the NLW.

https://www.llgc.org.uk/services/enquiries/nlwenquiries/

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Caliandris

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great grandmother, Lottie Dickins
    • View Profile
Re: John Hughes and Sarah Spence, Carmarthen
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 16 08:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your response to my questions.  I wil have to check my "not our family" notes on Spences... I have found Spences in Yorkshire, London and Scotland, but haven't successfully linked any to Sarah.  The person she had living in the house at the time or her husband's death was Mary Ann Louisa or Louisa MaryAnne Spence, but the dates for her and her parents make it unlikely that she was anything but a cousin or great niece maybe... her father died 1825, and it must have been then that she moved to Carmarthen.
Spivey, Hughes, Jones Carmarthen 19th c
Spivey, Armitage in Almondbury, Yorkshire 18th c
Dickins Staffordshire and Birmingham 18th and 19th c
Aldridge, Robey, Jearrad in London 18th and 19th
Pitt and Westlake Devon 17th and 18th c
Earwaker London and Hampshire 18th and 19th
Fitzpatrick in The Rower, Kilkenny, Ireland
Clarke, Hewitt, Starkey, Green in Cheshire 19th and 20th