Author Topic: Photo of Margaret Dorning (probably), Ottawa area  (Read 719 times)

Offline Autumn Downey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Photo of Margaret Dorning (probably), Ottawa area
« on: Monday 28 March 16 03:08 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if this photo identified as Margaret Dorning, may be the same person as in the photo which I had posted earlier, (trying to ascertain if it was Jane Dorning.)  China determined that the dates would not have been correct for Jane.  Margaret however was born in 1870 and married my grandfather Thomas Downey in 1891. 

Thank you for any observations. 

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of Margaret Dorning (probably), Ottawa area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 16 05:32 BST (UK) »
Tough one to date, Autumn, because we can't really see her clothing...it's just a black blob  :P It's possible, though, as the style of hat wouldn't be out of place in the 90s. If there is any printing on the back could we see a scan please? Doesn't have to be big.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Autumn Downey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 16 06:31 BST (UK) »
I only have a scan of this that a relative sent me.  It looks to be in somewhat rough condition.   I am always hoping to identify some of these pictures - and will have a few more.  At least a date limits some possibilities.  Thank you, China.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 16 14:21 BST (UK) »
I've looked at your two pictures, Autumn, and I do think there is a similarity between your 'possibly Jane Dorney' tintype lady and the one on this page.

As China says, not much in the clothing to be seen, but I would say this could very well be the same lady, a few years on.  Have been looking at ear, nose and mouth - and the angle of the shot is very similar in the tintype (duly reversed) and this one.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Autumn Downey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 March 16 15:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply about resemblances.  I think/hope they are the same person.  I maybe should canvas other relatives in case there are other photos, though I've not heard that anyone has any.   Good to have other eyes and minds looking at these.