Author Topic: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?  (Read 24664 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 23:47 BST (UK) »
The Cause Papers is a searchable catalogue or listing of more than 14,000 cause papers relating to disputes over matrimony, defamation, tithes, probate, breach of faith by the clergy, and church rights heard between 1300 and 1858 in the Church Courts of the diocese of York. The original records, held in the Borthwick Institute for Archives at the University of York, are the most extensive of their type in the United Kingdom. They offer an extremely valuable resource for family and local historians and scholars interested in social, ecclesiastical, economic and legal history.

http://www.connectedhistories.org/resource.aspx?sr=bc

The website is down at the moment but will return

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/library/cdfiles/cause

YAS Leeds at Claremont House and Brotherton hall libraries and archives hold tons of black dusty  copy hold scrolls and books dating back centuries.

http://www.yas.org.uk/content/archives/librarch.html

If there is anything on George Hood d 1845 - their card index or computer database index system is your best option.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 28 July 16 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hopefully the Will of Thomas Gouldsbrough may show a link to the Hood boys, however, I have been trying to see if I can find any other links that would tie-in Thomas's wife (widow Mary Russell) being Sarah's mother.  Also thought might be useful to have a look at the "Burton family".  I appreciate Mark this will not give you any direct info re George Hood but going "outwards" as well as "up and down" ancestral lines sometimes brings a snippet of unexpected info.  Here's the Burton family (thank goodness for Dade records)

Edward Burton wheelwright 1744 - 1809 son of Thomas Burton (Rope Maker) and Jane

Marries Ann Blanshard 12 Sept 1769 (Ann dies April 1770) cannot see any child

Marries Sarah Silverwood 9 Dec 1771 - buried 13 May 1776
- child Mary Burton 1772 (marries William Russell - mother of Sarah Russell (m G Hood)

Marries Mary Astley 3 Oct 1780
- children
Thomas Burton born 1775 died 1789
Sarah born 1781 died 1790
William born 1784 married Martha Russell (dau of Benjamin Russell)
Edward born 1786 died 1787
Edward born 1789 died 1824 married Frances Nappy 1813
Thomas born 1791 died 1792
Christopher born 1793 joined Royal Navy as SAILMAKER in 1815 (1851 living in Devon)
Thomas born 1795
Sarah born 1800

Wow Goughy!!! Thanks

Saw Benjamin Russell's Will (from FindMyPast at the Library) several days ago, written in 1806 and Martha was one of Benjamin's children.

When Benjamin Russell's Will was proved in 1829, Wm Burton was one of six appearing and the document says "Martha the Wife of the above bounden William Burton" ...

Kind regards, Mark

EDIT: Thanks dobfarm, there is an old Selby Case (18th Cent) - Matthew Hodd (witness I think).

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 22:47 BST (UK) »
Sarah Russell's parentage from baptism:

William Russell of Selby Sailor son of John Russell of Selby aforesaid Labourer by Martha his wife

Mary daughter of Edward Burton of Selby Wheelwright by Sarah his wife daughter of William Silverwood of Wistow Farmer

Hi Goughy

It takes years to learn these trades.

More by bumbling about on Google Books, I found in the search engine Baines's Yorkshire: West Riding, with a new introd. by O. Ashmore

https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=russel+straw+hatmaker&=

https://books.google.com/books?id=OgtCAAAAIAAJ

Edward Baines - 1969 -with a new introd. by O. Ashmore ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions (a r
Meadow lane Russel Jane,straw hat mf. ... butcher, 63, Kirkgate ; house, 21, Templar street Ryley Benj. butcher, Upperhead row Sadler M. T. merchant, Albion street Settle Susannah, straw hat maker, Meadow lane Sewell John, grocer LEEDS.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Leeds/Leeds22Dry.html

Meadow lane is Leeds, By Baines 1822 directory

Jane Russel Straw hat manufacture is in Woodhouse lane

William Russel Grocer and Dealer is in Meadow Lane Leeds

•Jackson (Surname Jackson) John Smith, tanner, Low fold, Bank; house, Woodhouse lane
( A Jackson was owner the Tannery Gowthorpe Selby)

•Richardson William  a Cooper, Timble bridge Leeds (Woodhouse lane Leeds)

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/Trade%20directories.pdf

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/ncl/TradeDir1.html
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 04 August 16 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm, Goughy, Bumblebee and All

EDIT: I think we could take break, whilst we await Thomas Gouldsbrough's Will? It might give a clue as to George Hood's origin? I have ordered two Collinson and 1829 Gibson, Selby Wills, too.

That is interesting dobfarm, that a straw hat manufacturer by the name of Russel was also at Leeds

LEEDS 1822 by Baines
Russel Jane, straw hat mfr. Woodhs. ln.
Russel Thos. flour dealer, Nether mills
Russel Wm. grocer, flour, &c. dealer, 68 Meadow lane
Russell William, schoolmaster, Camp lane, Water lane

SELBY 1822 by Edward Baines
Straw Hat Manufacturers.
Cockerill Tamar, Micklegate
Gatland Ann, Church Yard
Hood Sarah, Wren Lane [nee Sarah Russel, we believe]

and

Coopers.
Farey John, Quay
Hood George, Wren lane
Scawby George, Millgate

There was also a George Hood, shoe manfacturer at Hunslet near Leeds and Leeds, in Directories of this period. Although Staff Sergeant George Hood of Leeds was a Cordwainer on his Army record (extract here) ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728347.18

I have a s/h book coming possibly today which has an Article on Stourton Lodge (written in the 1960s around the time Stourton Lodge was demolished), because Father Leadbitter came from Stourton to Selby every two weeks in the 1780s. The Roman Catholics had to move from Middleton to Stourton, which I'm led to believe is near Leeds.

There was also a Henry Hood of Roundhay (nr Leeds), coming up in my newspapers searches, he had shares in one of the Railway Companies.

I have also ordered the 1863 Dec Quarter Birth of James A[lfred] Hood in the Sunderland District, hoping for a township and address, to see if I can establish why Sarah Hood (wife of James Hood) was in the Registration District of Sunderland, as they were probably back in Selby when their next child George Arundel Hood (Sept Qtr 1865) was born.

Also awaiting Thomas Gouldsbrough's Will, with interest (referred to in the Hood Admissions to Selby Manor).

Also awaiting reply from renewed email, this time to the R.C. Leeds Diocese, regarding records of their 1845 burials and 1780s births, for the Selby area.

Calverley Lad, has sent me a large list of Hood Leeds burials, but only Sgt George Hood [Army George] of Leeds noticed.

Kind regards Mark

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 04 August 16 14:55 BST (UK) »
All the locations - Stourton, Middleton and Roundhay are all in Leeds.
Stourton/Middleton being south Leeds, with Roundhay being north Leeds.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 05 August 16 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brian,
Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 01 October 16 02:28 BST (UK) »
Hello

My four times Gt. Grandfather was George Hood of Selby, Yorkshire, England, who married Sarah Russel at Selby in July 1815. They had five sons and three daughters baptised at Selby.

Their son William Hood married Jane Casson at Scarborough in December 1851 and was known as Jane Hood and Jane Casson Hood, of Wren Lane, Selby, laterly Byefield alias Byfield, Selby and Brayton, Yorkshire, according to our Hood Family papers and that both were understood to be buried in the Quaker Burial Ground at Selby, Yorkshire, England, UK.

They had three children Edwin Hood, Marion Hood (who became the wife of George Scaum of Pontefract, called Marion Scaum) and Beatrice Hood.

I understand Jane Casson Hood held family papers in the 1880s, which are still held by a Casson family member in the USA.

I would be most grateful please, if your family papers shed any light on William Hood's father, known as 'George Hood of Selby' in 1815, or even, where George Hood was buried when he died at Selby 18th September 1845?

I attach something, we have in our Family Papers, which survive.

Perhaps you will be kind enough to reply? Thank you.

Kind regards, Mark Hood

William Hood X Jane Casson had another son Alfred William Hood born 1855 Selby

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3A%22alfred%20william%22~%20%2Bsurname%3Ahood~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Ayorkshire~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1853-1855~

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3A%22alfred%20william%22~%20%2Bsurname%3Ahood~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Ayorkshire~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1853-1855~

1869 Alfred William Hood is at Ackworth Quaker boarding school 1869

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Rhw4AAAAMAAJ&q=sarah+hood+selby&dq=sarah+hood+selby&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y

1870 Father William Hood died 1870 Selby aged 54

1871 Alfred William Hood is now an apprentice grocer to Mr King in York (Name Richardson in the household)

1886 Alfred William Hood X Edith Scamm or Scaum married Selby

1891 Alfred William Hood X Edith Hood (nee Scamm) are in Latchford (Port), Lancashire/Cheshire boarder

1901 Alfred William Hood X Edith Hood (nee Scamm) are in Strewberry street (Not far from Jenning Street home of the Hood's Coopers/Hoopers/a dad Richard a Mariner) Drypool Sculcoates

1911 Alfred William Hood is in Sculcoates

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 01 October 16 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thanks for searching dobfarm.

Children of William Hood of Selby (d. Jul 1870, aged 54), were Edwin Hood, Marion Hood (who became the wife of George Scaum of Pontefract) and Beatrice Hood, mentioned later in Jane Hood's Will. Seen the Ackworth School book online.

Yes, got 1861 Census and Alfred Wm Hood aged 6 was a son of William Hood.

Salvage Hunters with Drew, were at Ackworth School. The painting of the founder was "John Fothergill", well that's a familiar Selby name!

Re Richardson, this is probably linked to Sarah Hood (nee Richardson), wife and then widow of John Hood the Tanner who died 1860 (son of George Hood married Selby 1815). Both John Hood & his widow Sarah, were buried at Selby Cemetery.

I did think about asking Goughy please (provided the weather does not wreck her hairdo!) if she might take a look at their Headstone/s, you never know if there might be  ... a reference "In Memory" to an unknown Hood relation, or Hood death at sea, or in a foreign conflict?

Despite extensive research, no unknown Hood found to date, living in a known Hood household.

Regards Mark

EDIT: Edwin is mentioned at a Quaker Holiday gathering, who on the 29th will be walking to Wingfield Manor and in the evening Mr Edwin C Hood will give an evening lecture "Wingfield Manor". - Belper News 24th July 1903

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 02 October 16 19:01 BST (UK) »
I did think about asking Goughy please (provided the weather does not wreck her hairdo!) if she might take a look at their Headstone/s

l'll have an amble round for you.

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)