Author Topic: Rice DAVIES - died 1638 - in Tickenham  (Read 587 times)

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rice DAVIES - died 1638 - in Tickenham
« on: Saturday 02 April 16 23:15 BST (UK) »
I used to be able to find much more history but now I have a new computer and I believe I am now on Google Chrome, I cannot access so much as before. I google names and they don't come up as before.
I am interested in lawyer Rice Davies who died in Tickenham in 1638. I have a copy of his will from the Portbury Hundreds. His 3rd wife was Mary Pitt and the Pitt family married into my Gunning family of the Bristol area.
He is also known as Rhys Davis or Rhys ap Lewis. He was a son of Lewys ap Dafydd and Margred Scarff who were, I believe, of Carmarthen.
My name of interest is the surname of Bush and I know Alice Bushe became Alice Philips when she married into this family - the paternal grandfather of Rice was Philip Scarff (alias Moore for some reason)
Alice was the daughter of Walter Bushe and Maude Horton of Rowley and they are definitely on my line.
I used to be able to access a site which I believe was called Histfam which showed the history going back from Rice to Alice, she was an aunt or great-aunt.
Rice Davies/Rhys Davis/Rhys ap Lewys could be linked to my family and just some knowledge of him could be an advantage.
I used to be able to read an article about him which said that he was a lawyer from Carmarthen who somehow wound up in Tickenham, Somerset.
I am in New Zealand so unable to get to history offices in Somerset or Carmarthenshire and just some more knowledge of the man could be of interest to me and also how he links up to Alice Bushe.
I will also post this on the Carmarthenshire site.
King William
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rice DAVIES - died 1638 - in Tickenham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 16 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Not sure if this helps but some information about Rice / Rees here http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:William_Davis_(149)

and it seems you might be able to access the family trees which were available on Histfam - https://www.geni.com/discussions/150807

It's a start

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc