Author Topic: RN Medals 1923  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RN Medals 1923
« on: Sunday 03 April 16 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have posted this photo on RC before, but have now been able to do more work on it using FindMyPast's RN records.

I believe the man in naval uniform is Joseph Christopher Douglas (b. 1890). The family story is that the photo was taken in San Francisco. I think Joseph was serving on HMS Hood, which, in 1923 was travelling around the world, and went to the USA ( 'The objective of the cruise was to remind the Dominions of their dependence on British sea power and encourage them to support it with money, ships and facilities.' Wikipedia). The clothes look right for 1923, I think. His cap badge looks more like HMS Ross, but I cannot find a ship with that name. It could well be Hood.

He was a Leading Stoker, but sometime during this period he became Acting S.P.O. Is this some kind of Petty officer?Does anyone know what the three stripes mean, and what his medals are? His 'badges' are not legible on his record.

Many thanks for anything the Naval historians can glean from this photo.

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RN Medals 1923
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 16 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Possible reference to Joseph Douglas -

http://www.hmshood.org.uk/crew/database/individual4.php?myrec=773

Acting SPO - Acting Stoker Petty Officer

JJ

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 16 19:17 BST (UK) »
The stripes are good conduct badges (or awards for undiscovered crime as some would put it).  At that time one stripe was awarded for each 3 years good conduct, a maximum of three were worn by ratings below CPO.

The medals look like the "full set" Great War medals, 14/15 Star, British War  and Victory Medals from which one can infer that he served from at least 1915 and maybe 1914.

Pretty sure his cap tally (they don't say badge) says HMS Hood.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 16 13:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much.

That is an interesting website, and yes, I think that is my Joseph Douglas because the information corresponds to what I have on his personal record, Hood 1923-1924. Joseph enlisted in 1907 and served throughout WW1. The website also has the Hood in San Francisco in July 1924, which means that my family story is now what I would call 'more plausible' (as opposed to 'less plausible' family stories!). The website says that while in San Francisco 'The squadron was placed in "At Home" status for Britons living in the area.' Do you think that might mean that Brits living locally might have been invited onboard? I am trying to trace the other people in the photo, and I am now wondering if it might even have been taken onboard.

I was brought up in Plymouth in the 1950s, and my Father had been in the Navy in WW2. The war stories I heard in childhood concerned the likes of the Hood . I am proud to have a connection, even if tenuous.

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 April 16 02:21 BST (UK) »
Is there any mark on the front of the photo, or on the back, that might indicate a photographer's studio, please?

I lived in San Francisco at one time.  The backdrop in your photograph has a building that is similar to buildings on the "Embarcadero" in San Francisco.  Perhaps the photo was taken in a studio with a San Francisco-themed backdrop?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 April 16 02:52 BST (UK) »
It's no help with your search, but in case you are interested when the HMS Hood was in San Francisco:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hep/
California Digital Newspaper Collection
Newspaper dated 11 July 1924 - The ship was open to the public on "Thursday".

Paragraph about a reception given to the officers:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01her/

An interesting article about the arrival of the "fleet":
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01heq/

There may be other articles about the ship:
http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 April 16 02:56 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I am just trying to see a connection, but the naval man resembles the older lady, especially around the mouth.   ???

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 April 16 03:15 BST (UK) »
I don't like to refer others to websites that I don't know anything about.  If you try an internet search for images and "july 1924 ship hood" one of the results should be for the H.M.S. Hood Association.  If you trust the site and want to open it, it has one photograph taken on board the ship, as it is docked in the San Francisco Bay.  The site includes a few other photographs.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 April 16 03:21 BST (UK) »
According to a book found online (The Battlecruiser HMS Hood...), the HMS Hood was at San Francisco 7-11 July and " 'At Home' for British Community of San Francisco and Bay Cities (neighbouring cities) on 8 July.

The same book has a sentence about the "squadron" 'at home' put on by the HMS Hood, which was to be put on in her visits to major ports.  (page 70 of the book)