Author Topic: Phoenix Place, Shrewsbury  (Read 7020 times)

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Phoenix Place, Shrewsbury
« on: Tuesday 19 July 05 14:10 BST (UK) »
Has anyone a plan of the houses and numbers which used to be in the original Place. My Grandfather and Grandmother lived at no 17 Phoenix Place in 1910.

George Woodworth

Moderator Comment: e-mail address removed to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the PM system for private data
Researching: Gentile - Yorkshire, Shrewsbury, Oswestry Chester.  Woodworth - Handbridge Chester. Taylor - Yorkshire and Chester. Ellis - Wrexham. Wraight - Margate Kent

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Place, Shrewsbury
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 July 05 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi George

I've had a look at my map and the only Phoenix I can find is Phoenix Passage.  Could that be the same place?  Do you know which area of Shrewsbury it was in?

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 05 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi George

Have a look at this link

http://www.mythstories.com/shutst.html

and on the map you will see Phoenix Place which runs from Mardol to Roushill.  Click on Phoenix Place and read the story!!!

"History of the Shut

Phoenix Place leads into the heart of Victorian Shrewsbury's red light area, Roushill, from its entrance on the Mardol"
;D ;D ;D ;D

Jan

P.S. On a serious note, you could also try the Shropshire Archives in Shrewsbury  http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 05 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi George and Jan

From the description, Phoenix Place and the modern Phoenix Passage are the same place.  I'll have a look at it when I'm down that end of town but I don't think there are houses there now.  I'm fairly sure it is just an alleyway. 

Monica

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 05 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

I'm sure it's just an alleyway too!!! and if it's the one I'm thinking of I don't think it exists anymore.  Isn't it at the back of the new development of apartments that is being built on Roushill?

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 August 05 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

Oh dear - the town's changing too quickly!  I don't get into town too often as my health isn't at its best at the moment BUT if I don't get in to wander around soon I may not be able to find my way round.

I've got a couple of books of photos of Shrewsbury over the years and I'm sure people felt the same in the past when huge areas were flattened for redevelopment. 

Monica

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 September 05 18:36 BST (UK) »
I've been reading about all the various shuts and passages in my hometown and remember this thread.

Woodworth, you should find this link interesting http://shrewsburyforum.co.uk/ar/t331.htm

Full details and photos of Phoenix Place.

Jan

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 September 05 22:52 BST (UK) »
Jan

What a good site - and the photos are really good.  I'm glad the shut isn't getting swallowed up by the new development.

Monica

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 September 05 10:12 BST (UK) »
H Monica

Yes, it is a good site.  I spent a long time yesterday afternoon reading all about the Shuts.  I found it fascinating, and to think that I have lived here all my life and only used a few of them.

Jan