Author Topic: 1841 cencus atyeo  (Read 9654 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 cencus atyeo
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi alli,

I'm afraid you have to go to your nearest LDS FHC and order the film (and in due course view it) there.

You can find the LDS FHC nearest to you on FamilySearch at:
http://www.familysearch.org

JAP

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 09:16 BST (UK) »
many thanks once again jap :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline paullo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 June 13 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
wonder if the following from 1847 re William Atyeo of Huish Episcopi is of interest:
W-A- {William Atyeo} has a wife and three children, one of whom is at service. The son, twenty years of age, is ill, from a chill caught whilst breaking stones, during the frost, and receives casual relief from the union. The daughter at home is also ill, and without shoes. The mother and daughter have each but three garments – a gown, petticoat, and shift. W-A- works on the bye-roads, and earns 10d a day, when the weather permits. Pays 1s a week rent. In the bedroom, which is small, damp, and miserable, are two beds, side by side, in one of which sleep the man and his wife, who have but one blanket and two sheets to cover them; in the other, the brother and sister, the former being twenty years of age, and the latter twenty-four. With them also sleeps an illegitimate child of the daughter who is from home. This is the cottage to which I referred last week, and take it altogether, I never saw such a scene of misery, degradation, and vice, which are the result of poverty, in my life. I say vice, from the history of its inmates, as given me by a person who has a knowledge of the family, and whose position in the parish renders him acquainted with the affairs of its humble inhabitants.
Your Inquirer.

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 June 13 17:44 BST (UK) »
very interesting thankyou paullo
middlesex - chesney

Offline Okiowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allibaker,
Did you get any further in your hunt for John Atyeo? I only recently looked at this this line of the Atyeo`s, starting with John Atyeo the footballer and working up to the same point as appears in these messages.
My own family goes up to the Atyeos of Othery and Stoke-St-Gregory and I was wondering if I could find a link between them and your John Atyeo.
All the best,
Owen
Isaac Phillips - Dale, Pembrokeshire
John Phillips - Templeton (around 1768)
Lloyd - Freystrope before 1842
Fabian - Glamorgan
Mazey - Glamorgan
Atyeo - Somerset and Wales
Evans - Llanuwchllyn
Humphreys - Pantperthog/Corris
Watkins - Llanwnnog/Elerch
James - Nant-y-moch
Morgans - Elerch
Lloyd - Cerrigydrudion
Hart - Shropshire/Monmouthshire

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 12:51 GMT (UK) »
yes owen i did. footballer peter JOHN walter atyeo was my late mother in law's second cousin . his father walter atyeo and my mother in laws grandfater fred atyeo were brothers. i have many more family history for this family as i have been getting info for 10 years now. what info would you like to know? would be happy to help a fellow atyeo researcher
regards
alli
middlesex - chesney

Offline Okiowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census atyeo
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alli,
I`m so glad you`re still here (after seeing that your original posts were in 2005)!
My Great Great Grandfather was Edward Atyeo (1824-1900) who brought the family over from Othery to South Wales in the 1860`s. I`ve been digging into the tree for about two years now. At first I used that Geocities site set up by the Canadian/US branch of the family (who are also descendants of Edward Atyeo), but I`ve since discovered that whilst being helpful on occasion, it also has numerous errors. So, I`ve been putting my bits of the Atyeo tree up on Wikitree. It`s a work in progress (as are most trees!), so some entries have a full profile and links to evidence, some don`t have yet.
Anyway, I got to thinking that there must be a link between your John Atyeo the footballer and my Atyeos at some point. Using FindMyPast I got as far back as John Atyeo (b.c.1818), and was relieved to see that I was on the right track after reading your posts.
So, I`m assuming you`ve seen all of the stuff on that geocities site and was wondering if you`d found a link between the branches? Any help in growing the tree would be welcomed though!
I`m not sure if it`s ok or not to mention the Wikitree stuff here.
Thanks,
Owen
Fabian - Glamorgan
Mazey - Glamorgan
Evans - Llanuwchllyn
James - Nant-y-moch
Morgans - Elerch
Lloyd - Cerrigydrudion
Hart - Shropshire/Monmouthshire

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 January 15 12:17 GMT (UK) »
I too have Atyeo ancestors from Othery. I can't tell if they tie in with yours as so far I only know one name: Ellen Atyeo of Othery who married Thomas Burnell of North Petherton in 1730.

The frustrating thing about that Geocities site, and the several trees on Ancestry, is that they hardly ever cite any evidence. Much is definitely wrong but perhaps in some cases there is some record - not available online - which supports the claims.

For example, the William Atyeo supposedly baptised at Othery in 1753. The parish register has no entries for that year, just a note complaining that the records were lost through the neglect of Mr Cooke, the parish clerk. But perhaps there's something in the BTs, I haven't seen those.

Here are some other comments on those trees.

The William Atyeo who was robbed of £200 was more likely the one who died in 1799, wife Ellen and no children. His will shows he could have had that much money.

The Thomas who married Alice Lovibond did have another wife Jane, but she was his second wife not his first. Alice died in April 1727 and he married Jane Henbury at Wembdon in Oct 1727. They had at least 6 children. Some died in infancy but Thomas and Edward both became apprentices in Bristol. Another son William could be the one who was later robbed. (Sources, FreeREG and Bristol Apprentice records.)

Robert the son of Thomas and Alice was baptised at Othery in 1722. (Parish register) There's nothing to indicate that he was born in Stoke St Gregory, although nearly every tree states that.

The Atyeos, and the Lovibonds and Burnells, all leased farms from the Manor of Othery and there are extensive records from the Manor at the SHC. They many well help considerably, some day I hope to find the time to consult them.

David

Offline Okiowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 January 15 23:38 GMT (UK) »
David-
Yes, that Geocities site looked so promising the first time I saw it!

For William Atyeo (supposedly born 1753), the only evidence I have for him is his marriage to Betty Powell in 1778 at Othery (one witness was Hannah Atyeo), and his death at Othery in 1825 which claims he was 75 years of age at death.

I`m in the process of updating my sources for the Atyeo tree on Wikitree. I`m including the Geocities info, either with correct sources or a note about its lack of evidence. Any corrections/updates gratefully received.

Owen
Fabian - Glamorgan
Mazey - Glamorgan
Evans - Llanuwchllyn
James - Nant-y-moch
Morgans - Elerch