Author Topic: So confused  (Read 1595 times)

Offline doric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
So confused
« on: Thursday 07 April 16 21:18 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can sort this out for me.  For a number of years I have been trying to track down my gt.grandmother with very little success.  According to the 1841 Census for South Shields, Caroline V. Hall is shown as a 2 yr old living with a family, but I don't think it is her own family.  Then the 1851 Census shows her as a 13 yr old inmate living in the Workhouse at South Shields.  I am so curious to learn more, so thought if I tried the Bishops Transcripts I might find some record of a birth and possibly other information.  I am not familiar with searching the transcripts, but gave it a try and whilst looking a few days ago, I did find the birth for Caroline V. Hall in 1839 with a mother Mary.  No father was given, but it stated Mary was born in Newcastle, but did not give her surname.  Needless to say I was ecstatic to be one step further when just at that moment  my computer seemed to deveolp a problem and I lost the information.  Since then I have tried many times to find this information once more, but I am hitting a dead end and can't locate it.  Anyone any ideas?

Doric
Schellenberg of Yorkshire/Durham
Westgarth of Durham/Pittington
Johnson of Sunderland/Houghton-le-Spring/Worksop/Yorks/Scotland
Charlton of Hexham and Houghton-le-Spring areas
Brown of Alnwick and Newbottle, Houghton-le-Spring/Chester-le-Street
Hailes of Chester-le-Street
Hope of Chester-le-Street
Ainsley of Willington/Chester-le-Street
Reed of Houghton-le-Spring
Baister of Houghton-le-Spring
Ashman of Houghton-le-Spring area
Wilson of Sunnybrow, Auckland
Wittman of Bradford/Leeds

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: So confused
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 16 21:45 BST (UK) »
I checked all the Caroline V. names on Free BMD between Dec 1837 and Dec 1841. No Caroline V. registered (any last name) in County Durham or Northumberland. No Caroline Hall born County Durham or Northumberland for the same time frame.

familysearch.org

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3A%22Caroline%20V%22~%20%2Bsurname%3AHall~%20%2Bbirth_place%3AEngland~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1837-1841~

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 16 21:54 BST (UK) »
Holy Trinity South Shields, 17 February 1839, Caroline Victoria Hall of Newcastle, mother Mary Hall, single woman.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 16 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi in 1861 a C V H aged 21 occ House Servant/Pauper is in the Union Workhouse, German Street, South Shields
Census Ref RG09/2785/37/61
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline doric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 April 16 08:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all for your help.  I had the same problem barryd and couldn't find her at all.  Eventually I located her on the 1841 Census aged 2yrs giving her birthplace as South Shields living with it seems another family, but couldn't find her on 1861 Census. She married my gt.grandfather at Kirkwhelpington in 1863, so I sent for the certificate to see what her father's name was, again I think the name that she gave was a figment of her imagination as I could not find any trace of him. She gave his name as Forest Hall !!  Perhaps because it has since transpired that her mother was a single woman.

JenB - could you tell me where you found this information - as mentioned in my initial post, I had looked at the Bishop Transcripts and found exactly what you have given me, but my computer played up and I unfortunately lost it.  I have tried to find it again, but not being that familiar with the Bishop Transcripts, I have not succeeded,  I would very much appreciate this.

Keyboard86 - Thankyou so much for this piece of information this too is so much appreciated.

Finally, can anyone tell me if the Workhouse records for South Shields can be located online, as all my research these days has to be done this way, as I am no longer able to visit the record offices.

Again to you all, thank you for your input and I can assure you that it is very much appreciated.

Doric

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 April 16 08:53 BST (UK) »
JenB - could you tell me where you found this information - as mentioned in my initial post, I had looked at the Bishop Transcripts and found exactly what you have given me, but my computer played up and I unfortunately lost it.  I have tried to find it again, but not being that familiar with the Bishop Transcripts, I have not succeeded,  I would very much appreciate this.

Keyboard86 - Thankyou so much for this piece of information this too is so much appreciated.

Finally, can anyone tell me if the Workhouse records for South Shields can be located online, as all my research these days has to be done this way, as I am no longer able to visit the record offices.

I found it on Durham Records Online - I can't yet find it on the BT's  :-\

I think it most unlikely that any workhouse records are available online. They are all held at Tyne & Wear Archives

Offline doric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 April 16 09:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Jen B.  Will give it a try.

Doric

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 April 16 09:11 BST (UK) »
I have had lookups and photocopies of documents from Tyne and Wear Archives (quite some time ago) but I was able to give them exact dates and places - I found them to be very obliging and helpful. An email to them may be worth a try. Good luck.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 April 16 09:31 BST (UK) »
I have had lookups and photocopies of documents from Tyne and Wear Archives (quite some time ago) but I was able to give them exact dates and places - I found them to be very obliging and helpful. An email to them may be worth a try. Good luck.

No harm in calling them, but given the current financial situation I think it's most unlikely they will do any look ups for you without the payment of a hefty fee  >:(