Author Topic: The Army in Ireland under Charles II - King's Reg't of Guards, Dublin  (Read 676 times)

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The Army in Ireland under Charles II - King's Reg't of Guards, Dublin
« on: Friday 08 April 16 03:08 BST (UK) »
An ancestor's burial in St. John's parish of Dublin in 1683 notes "soldier in Captain Morris' Company". With some digging around and research, I found the Captain in question was Captain Richard Morris of the King's Reg't of Guards, which was garrisoned in Dublin city at the time. I'm wondering if anything beyond general regimental history exists- like pay lists, muster rolls, etc.  The ancestor of mine is Daniel Maclaine from Tyrone, who was born around 1655. I believe he must have enlisted while the regiment was on the move around Londonderry as they did guard duty around Ireland but their HQ was Dublin. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

Thank you!
MacLean; Kildare, Offaly, Dublin, Meath, Westmeath

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Army in Ireland under Charles II - King's Reg't of Guards, Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 May 16 15:25 BST (UK) »
from
http://www.billmacafee.com/17centurydatabases.htm
Hearth Money Rolls [T307] for the counties of Antrim [1669], Londonderry [1663], Tyrone [1666] and Donegal [Baronies of Inishowen and Raphoe] 1665 - read more.
Its downloadable
titles
Record No.   No. in Barony List   County   Barony   Parish   Townland (Modern Spelling)   Townland as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Forename as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Surname as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Surname [Standardised]
some suggestions but please download and extract Co Tyrone etc and use your ear
6431   136   Tyrone   Omagh West   Longfield   Coolavannagh   Cailevanagh   Owen   m'Illrowan   McIlroan
4826   9   Tyrone   Dungannon Upper   Arboe   Mullaghglass   Mullaghglass   Owen   McLacan   McLacan
5083   266   Tyrone   Dungannon Middle   Tullyniskin   Ballymenagh   Ballymenagh   Andrew   McClean   McLean
5155   338   Tyrone   Dungannon Upper   Desertcreat   Skenarget   Skeanirgirtt   Neall   McLeane   McLean

and then check out the rest of his many databases for clues
goodluck
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide