Author Topic: Marriage - February 1854 - St Margaret's, Leicester.  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage - February 1854 - St Margaret's, Leicester.
« on: Thursday 14 April 16 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hello....  :)

I am hoping someone will be able to help shed some light on this for me please.

It was just by chance that I came across this newspaper article, and it has made me curious, as I can't find any marriage under either couples names in 1854, on FreeBMD or elsewhere.

Leicester Chronicle - 25 February 1854
On the 14th inst, at St Margaret's, Mr Wm. EDGSON, miller and baker, of Langham, to Mary Ann, youngest daughter of Mr Chas. ROWELL, of Ridlington.

We know that William Edgson married in 1857 and again in 1870 but nothing about the marriage in 1854.
I am wondering if I am correct in assuming they married at St Margaret's, Leicester?

Thankyou

Dizzifish

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage - February 1854 - St Margaret's, Leicester.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 April 16 21:35 BST (UK) »
I have a PDF for St Margaret covering 1854 and cant see anything even remotely similar  :-\
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 April 16 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jomot,

Thanks for taking the time to look. It seems I can rule the St Margaret's theory out then  :(

I don't know where else it may have taken place... and then there is the puzzle of why it is not on the Marriage registration index.

It seems a bit odd to have an announcement in the newspaper, maybe they just changed their minds  :-\

Thanks anyway  :)

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Keep plodding on you Will find it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 April 16 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have checked my disc and there are 2 marriages for that date at St Margarets Leicester but not for this couple.
There is a Ridlington in Rutland and there are a number of  people with the name of Rowel(l).
There is a marriage for a Charles Rowell in 1803 to Ann Basset at Ridlington and they do baptize a child there with the name of Mary Ann in 1812, but if she's the one that marries William Edgson she would have been in her early 40's

Bunnygirl
Leicestershire; Rothley,  Fowkes, Biddles, Dawson, Allen, Lambert, Tebbett, Needham , Horner, Cooper, Pagett, Jaques, Kinton, Newbald, Duffill    Halford, Cope, Bywater , Hunt
Bedfordshire; Cardington, Trueman, Wilstead  Bridges, Clark(e), Redman
Essex; Eady, Newman, Copsey, Rawlin, Gilders, Smith  
Rotherhithe; Henderson, Eady. Lambert
Rutland & Bedfordshire  Staffod, Glover, Tom(b)lin
Suffolk  (Wissington) Eady.
Lincolnshire, Tomlin

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 April 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Bunnygirl,

Thanks for taking a look for me.

The couple both came from Rutland, but as the announcement was in the Leicester Chronicle, I was thinking the marriage took place in Leicester.

And then there is the problem as to why the marriage does not appear to have been registered  :-\

But thanks anyway x

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 April 16 11:06 BST (UK) »

According to Lincolnshire Chronicle.....it states St. Margarets , Leicester.

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 April 16 11:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jackie  :)

It took me a while to find the Lincolnshire Chronicle piece, and as you say it was St Margaret's Leicester.... so I wonder what happened?

I have now found the said, Mary Ann Rowell,aged 20 yrs and she is a house servant in 1851 - Piece  2088 / Folio 198 / Page 14 - 4, Millhill Lane, St Margaret, Leicester

All very strange  ???

Thanks for trying to help x

Offline keithwfhc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 April 16 17:05 BST (UK) »
I can think of two explanations, both of which you have probably had in mind long ago anyway.  The first is that the couple put a notice in to the newspaper in advance of the ceremony, which did not go ahead.  The second, which I have observed very, very occasionally, is that there was some defect in the particulars given to the clergyman, who then refused to marry them, but, having already made the entry in the register with everything on it but signatures and witnesses, struck through the entry.  Nothing can be done about the first possibility, but the second needs checking in the original register, preferably the paper version in case the whole page was deleted and consequently never filmed.  That's clutching at straws, admittedly.  Another thought is to see whether the couple posted banns.
Good luck !  Keith wfhc  :)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 April 16 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Thank you for the response, it is always good to have others thoughts and input on a problem  ;)

I had also been thinking it would be helpful to see the original register pages to see if there was any sign of anything filled in for 14th February.

Thanks for reminding me regarding the posting of banns, it would help at least to prove an intention to marry.
Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to ever discover the reason why the marriage did not take place.   

I will clutch those straws and hope it gives a result!

Thanks

Dizzifish.