Author Topic: Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 6)  (Read 25059 times)

Offline mogwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 6)
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 08:04 BST (UK) »
They would have noticed that we all (well, most of us) had the RootsChat logo beside our names.  I wonder if they may have just dismissed any comments as coming from a bunch of weirdos, or troublemakers, or knows-it-alls who were not really interested in the course. 

There again, maybe they just didn't notice the constructive or negative bits amongst all the glowing testimonials.

p.s.  There were too many comments to read them all, at every stage, so perhaps there were others who gave not so enthusiastic views, but I didn't notice any

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 08:46 BST (UK) »
If you go to section 6.18 'How was it for you' and click on 'most liked' you'll find a comment by Josie you may feel she is worth a 'like'  ;) (well it was the most liked as I was writing this).
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 09:46 BST (UK) »
If you divide the number of comments by the number of participants, it works out at 4 each. As a lot of names appeared several times in each section, that leads me to believe there was a large number of people on the course who didn't comment at all.

As Lizzie said, I wonder how many comments were actually useful ones and not just gushing, or relating anecdotes from their own family? I don't think the number of comments is really relevant to how well the course went when it covers a subject like genealogy, we all know how we ramble on here with stories.  ;D  I didn't notice any real in depth discussions as there have been on other courses.

I hope they didn't dismiss Rootschatters just because we all used the same avatar. As a group I thought we conducted ourselves very well and gave lots of advice and I know we encouraged quite a few people to join. On another course I was on, a group of people obviously knew each other from previous courses, had formed a closed "club" and had given themselves a name, which they referred to frequently. They used the comments section to make digs about other students and almost ganged up to "shout" others down if they dared disagree with them.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dwfeathers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
I've only really become aware of RootsChat since I finished the FutureLearn course. I'm still getting used to how it works! Your ideas about the course have agreed with mine. I will look back at the course as there were some things that I found useful and they will help me in my research. You say that you had a common avatar when you made your comments. What did it look like, so that when I see it as I read comments I can then relate it to this forum?
Featherstone Healey Gurney Brown Fisher Hargreaves Pearson Coulthard Greenish Pickard Rutherford

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 10:56 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 10:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RC. DWF,  and I do hope you find it as helpful and friendly as most of us have!     :)

Wiggy.   
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 11:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome, DWF.

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it fast enough. 

The folk on here are friendly and helpful and there are some very clever "super sleuths" for those brickwalls... ;) :D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 11:26 BST (UK) »
Welcome DWF, glad that you found us and it's interesting that you felt the same way about the course.

I wonder if a lot of people simple gave up and didn't bother to comment either way, or whether others, who were studying independently,  saw so many positive comments that they thought it must be just them who were disappointed with the course?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dwfeathers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for those welcome comments  :) Perhaps one of the problems was a lack of a true outline for the course, so I was expecting too much from it. For the last 2 or 3 (or 3 or 4!) weeks I was just reading through the information and gave up making comments. The comments I read didn't progress the lessons in any way, so became rather boring. The articles didn't really further my knowledge that I've gained through experience. I doubt if the four years that I've been researching makes me an expert but most of it was very much general common sense. I have taken other FutureLearn courses and they have been truly excellent. Does anyone know of any other online courses similar to FutureLearn?
Featherstone Healey Gurney Brown Fisher Hargreaves Pearson Coulthard Greenish Pickard Rutherford