Author Topic: My grandparents were married in Bombay India 1932 but went out unmarried... how?  (Read 674 times)

Offline thebottos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My grandparents, Elsie Ridley (Nee Lumsden) and William Dobson Ridley were married in India in 1932 in Bombay. They had 3 year old daughter already who was born in 1929 in Durham. I understand he would have travelled by boat as part of his army service but how would she have managed to join him as they were unmarried.? Any idea how expensive it would have been and is there any way she could have joined him to live?  Elsie was born in 1911 and William 1905. I am trying to find out where she was for 3 years before they married in India. Any suggestions please?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
At the start of WW1 Other ranks needed to have two good conduçt badges - so 7 years service without a blemish - and £5 in the Post Office before getting a place on the married establishment. Plus, there had to be vacancy. So it is likely that he did not get this until he was in India. You need a Kings Regulations from the 1930s to discovery if the rules had changed.

It could that he got his place when he was in India and then the regiment found her a place on a troopship. In which case she would not be on a passenger list.

Ken