Author Topic: 1897 birth Trinity Preston Mary McDermott  (Read 2686 times)

Offline CarolynWinterburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mee births 1905 and 1908 Wigan and Leigh
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 May 16 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
After failing to find the answer from other records, I am trying to find the Mother's christian name for Michael Mee born 1908 or Doris Mee born 1905.
 On the Lancashire BMD it gives their  Mother's surname as McDermott but I am trying to prove that her name was Julia. If anyone can help I would be very grateful. I know I can order the birth certificate but it is not actually Michael or Doris that I am researching it is their sister Mary Kate who I believe was born  out of wedlock so I cannot be sure of her birth name.
Thanks Carolyn
Flint Norfolk, Ward Suffolk, Stanton Norfolk, Hunter Norfolk, Winterburn Middlesex, Bowles Norfolk, Boote Staffs, Bossons Cheshire.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mee births 1905 and 1908 Wigan and Leigh
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 May 16 10:13 BST (UK) »
Earlier related query for reference - topics now merged

Does Mary Kate give a father on her marriage certificate?

If I recall, Michael Mee couldn't be found in 1891 nor Mary Catherine/Kate.

She could be the child of either parent I suppose but maybe more likely to be the daughter of Julia.

It would be best to check mother's name through a birth certificate or baptisms if you can trace them.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 May 16 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The problem is I cannot find the family on the 1901 census. Michael Mee was still in the Army and there is no marriage for him. I can't get the birth for Mary Kate because I don't know for sure her surname. It could be McDermott or her Mother could have been with someone else when she was born so have a different surname. I assume her Mother was Julia McDermott. She is on the 1891 census with her Mother catherine. But I can't find any marriage for her either.
What a problem.
Carolyn
Flint Norfolk, Ward Suffolk, Stanton Norfolk, Hunter Norfolk, Winterburn Middlesex, Bowles Norfolk, Boote Staffs, Bossons Cheshire.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1897 birth Trinity Preston Mary McDermott
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 May 16 07:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annette,

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 May 16 23:22 BST (UK) »
Members of the public do not have access to birth certs so you would need to buy a copy of one to confirm mum was Julia which frankly would be a waste of money

From your other post - you have them on the 1911 census - mother is Julia.  Lancsbmd shows mmn as McDermott  & it has already been established that she was Julia McDermot aged 3yrs on the 1871 census. as per reply 5 on previous post.

For whatever reason it appears they didn’t marry.  If you found a birth reg for Mary Catherine under McDermott - it’s odds on it wouldn’t show a father’s name.  She was clearly illegitimate given the approx year of marriage shown on the 1911 entry
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 23:20 BST (UK) »
Did Mary Kate marry as McDermott or Mee?  When and where did she marry?

Did she give a fathers name on her marriage cert?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
she married William maguire as a Mee

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 18:17 BST (UK) »
And did she give her father as Michael Mee on her marriage cert?

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 May 16 08:06 BST (UK) »
If I can't find the info any other way that is my next option