Author Topic: the dukes of hamilton  (Read 2101 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
the dukes of hamilton
« on: Tuesday 03 May 16 18:20 BST (UK) »
my grt aunt muriel married james hamilton in or around january 1911 james hamiltons' father was also called james he was supposedly the duke of hamilton they had a son they named james stanley hamilton, he was killed along with his wife lillian jacobs by their eldest son christopher hamilton, i am trying to find out what siblings james had so that I can see where he meshed into the family tree and know exactly if I have his father correct and his antecedents back correctly just to ensure that I am on the correct line of the family tree . so that O do not make a fopa if I contact the press office about the family. the info on wiki is very interesting right up until he gives them all up to edward the bruce brother to robert and edward was for a while king of ireland the same as robert was of scotland.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: the dukes of hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

James Stanley Hamilton died 2006 aged 76 and therefore born c.1930, if there are any siblings they could still be alive and therefore we cannot post their names.

JJ

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 21:37 BST (UK) »
The last Duke of Hamilton whose first name was James was the 7th Duke of Hamilton and he died in 1769.  Current Duke is the 16th Duke.

I don't think this can be the person who married your great auntie Muriel.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 16 17:47 BST (UK) »
What was your great-aunt Muriel's surname? And did she get married in Scotland?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 June 16 18:23 BST (UK) »
A guess on my part, so I am likely wrong.  But, going by the names Marcie has in her surname interests it is Muriel Smith, daughter of Alexander Smith a builder and Janet May.  Muriel (25) married the son of James Hamilton (26) a foreman of a Cotton Mill and Robina Campbell on the 25 Feb 1920 at the brides home in Glasgow (Pollokshields).

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 August 16 20:23 BST (UK) »
A guess on my part, so I am likely wrong.  But, going by the names Marcie has in her surname interests it is Muriel Smith, daughter of Alexander Smith a builder and Janet O'May.  Muriel (25) married the son of James Hamilton (26) a foreman of a Cotton Mill and Robina Campbell on the 25 Feb 1920 at the brides home in Glasgow (Pollokshields).

Don

Idid not have that info so thankyou, the reason that I say that james was the eigth child is because I checked the family tree on wiki and thy listed all of the children born to james and robyn. although its not unknown for them to be wrong. I also had them marrying in 1911 but not where. so that  know I am wrong, does it say who was present and witnesses.?
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 August 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
What was your great-aunt Muriel's surname? And did she get married in Scotland?
muriel O'may smith.and yes she married in scotland, not sure where though!
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 August 16 20:35 BST (UK) »
The last Duke of Hamilton whose first name was James was the 7th Duke of Hamilton and he died in 1769.  Current Duke is the 16th Duke.

I don't think this can be the person who married your great auntie Muriel.

Nell
the man who was shop floor man was I Believe muriels' james' father. although this was a guess on my part as it did not say anywhere what the relationship actually was, I looked up a lot of info about the hamiltons how they ended up with all the land they have now, their past crimes which almost lost them their titles and land and how tricking the english obtained their being forgiven and for loyalty to the scottish throne of robert the bruce won them the lands they own now.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 August 16 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

James Stanley Hamilton died 2006 aged 76 and therefore born c.1930, if there are any siblings they could still be alive and therefore we cannot post their names.

JJ

I think that he was the only child Jame's and Muriel had, though I have never done any research to check this, and according to Lilian's brother they both were killed. James Stanley and Lilian Jacobs. by their eldest son. it was supposed to be in the Australian papers.so the fact that he was still alive makes me query what I was toldand if he survived , its nice to know , perhaps it was just his wife that suffered that fate. what do you think?
 searl rogers sutherland