Author Topic: George Owen Henshaw 1837 - 1858  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Owen Henshaw 1837 - 1858
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 March 17 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Re: George Owen Henshaw.

Dear Birtle,
Greetings once again from Tabuk. I confirm that George Owen Henshaw was the son of William Henshaw and Elizabeth Griffiths (I think she came from Carmarthen). William Henshaw was the brother of Thomas Henshaw, my great-great grandfather, who ran the Stockport Lurry Works in the mid-19th Century. William and Thomas's parents were Henry and Hannah Henshaw of Cheadle Hulme where they ran the local smithy. Their house still stands on Heathbank Road, and the smithy was on Occupation Road (now known as Biddies Lane). Henry was the son of Daniel Henshaw, b. 1750 d. 1826 and Ann Ashton, of Nether Alderley. Their house also still stands, on Congleton Road, Street Lane Ends, in Alderley Edge. George Owen did join the British Army and served in India, and died on the return journey after passing Cape Town. No Suez Canal in those days, so ships had to sail the long was round, round the Cape of Good Hope. One can only imagine that George contracted some tropical disease (maybe malaria) and succumbed as a result. Thanks to Roots Chat for the other information about George.   

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 March 17 09:45 GMT (UK) »

Dear Birtle,
Greetings once again from Tabuk. I confirm that George Owen Henshaw was the son of William Henshaw and Elizabeth Griffiths (I think she came from Carmarthen). William Henshaw was the brother of Thomas Henshaw, my great-great grandfather, who ran the Stockport Lurry Works in the mid-19th Century. William and Thomas's parents were Henry and Hannah Henshaw of Cheadle Hulme where they ran the local smithy. Their house still stands on Heathbank Road, and the smithy was on Occupation Road (now known as Biddies Lane). Henry was the son of Daniel Henshaw, b. 1750 d. 1826 and Ann Ashton, of Nether Alderley. Their house also still stands, on Congleton Road, Street Lane Ends, in Alderley Edge. George Owen did join the British Army and served in India, and died on the return journey after passing Cape Town. No Suez Canal in those days, so ships had to sail the long was round, round the Cape of Good Hope. One can only imagine that George contracted some tropical disease (maybe malaria) and succumbed as a result. Thanks to Roots Chat for the other information about George.   

Thank you very much for this.
Have you by any chance seen the old photographs on The Stockport Heritage Site? There are some really old photographs on there. One is aparantely an: "engagement photograph" as it has been listed. There are many photographs of the vehicles that the Henshaws made also. And there is a: "Henshaw Family Photograph" too. :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 March 17 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I wander how they are related to Thomas Henshaw, who founded the Society for the Blind, and died in 1810, in the Manchester area?  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 March 17 10:45 GMT (UK) »

Dear Birtle,
Hello again,

William Henshaw was one of my 4x Great Grandad's.
Can you please tell me whereabouts his Father's house was on Heathbank Road/ post a Google map link? And the one for his Grandfather on Congleton Road? It would be great to have a look! :)

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 March 17 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I have often wondered about that. A few years back I passed the modern premises of the Henshaw's Institute for the Blind on Eccles Old Road in Salford, and I noticed that the coat of arms on the gate was that of the Henshaw family (a shield with a black vertical chevron, with two left facing moorhens above it and one below). So he may be from the landed family resident in Siddington until the 18th Century.

Daniel Henshaw's property is now Alderley House on Congleton Road, Alderley Edge. Henry Henshaw's property in Heathbank Road van be seen on the 1844 Cheadle Hulme Tythe Map as Worthings Croft.

http://www.cheadlehulme.net/village/chmappic1844.htm

Can we correspond by e-mail? it is much easier. I can be found here:

https://independent.academia.edu/ColinHenshaw

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 March 17 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I have often wondered about that. A few years back I passed the modern premises of the Henshaw's Institute for the Blind on Eccles Old Road in Salford, and I noticed that the coat of arms on the gate was that of the Henshaw family (a shield with a black vertical chevron, with two left facing moorhens above it and one below). So he may be from the landed family resident in Siddington until the 18th Century.

Daniel Henshaw's property is now Alderley House on Congleton Road, Alderley Edge. Henry Henshaw's property in Heathbank Road van be seen on the 1844 Cheadle Hulme Tythe Map as Worthings Croft.

http://www.cheadlehulme.net/village/chmappic1844.htm

Can we correspond by e-mail? it is much easier. I can be found here:

https://independent.academia.edu/ColinHenshaw
Thanks very much Colin. Can you please PM me, then we can email each other that way?
Cheers. :) ;)