Author Topic: Obtaining Birth Records 1908/1909  (Read 2969 times)

Offline tanwenhaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Obtaining Birth Records 1908/1909
« on: Wednesday 20 July 05 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Although there are a mass of websites out there relating to Irish genealogy, I can't seem to find an answer to a simple Quastion.

My Great-grandmother was born in Ireland about 1908/1909.
Constance Mary Tuckwell was the daughter of Thomas Tuckwell, an electrician according to her Mariage certificate. She was disowned by her family as she got pregnant prior to Marriage so I know the family were Catholic.

How do I go about finding a record of her birth considering I have no Idea where in Ireland she was born, is there a resource comparable to the GRO index of births. marriages, deaths?

I understand the 1911 census of Ireland has been released early but where can I search this, ideally without going to Ireland unless of course that is the cheapest option!

Actually, thats not that straight forward but I would appreciate any straightforward advice!
Thanks
Tan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining Birth Records 1908/1909
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 17:02 BST (UK) »
Tan:
A good place to look is the Family Search site:  http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/Rg/frameset_rg.asp?Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry=&Guide=Ireland.ASP

Pat

Records at the Family History Library

The Family History Library has microfilm copies of the civil registration indexes of births, marriages, and deaths for Ireland and Northern Ireland through 1958 (through 1959 for Northern Ireland). The Library also has microfilm copies of:

Pre-1871 marriage and death certificates for both Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Birth certificates from 1864 through March 1881 and from 1900 through 1913 for both Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Birth certificates for the Republic of Ireland from 1930 through 1955.
Birth, marriage, and death certificates for Northern Ireland from 1922 through 1959.
Some registration certificates of Irish subjects at sea, abroad, and in the military.

The library's copies of civil registration records and indexes for Ireland are listed in the Locality Search of the catalog under IRELAND - CIVIL REGISTRATION. Other civil registration records, such as records of births at sea, are listed in the Locality Search of the catalog under GREAT BRITAIN - CIVIL REGISTRATION.

Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining Birth Records 1908/1909
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 August 05 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As the answer below says, check the birth indexes in the Dublin GRO or on film at your local family history centre and then check the birth entry for the right father's name. Don't assume that they were catholic though. Society as a whole was pretty prudish at the time.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington