Author Topic: Mara Yvonavich  (Read 325 times)

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
Mara Yvonavich
« on: Saturday 14 May 16 13:27 BST (UK) »
Any info. on Mara Yvonavich who came from Poland and Emigrated to Canada in 1800s
Also her husband Giorgi Yvonavich from Greece

Thank you
Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mara Yvonavich
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 May 16 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Marona,

'1800s' covers quite a large time period! What information do you have about Mara and Giorgi, and what documents - e.g. did they marry in Canada? Do you know approximately when? Do you have any census records?

If you can tell us what you already have, it will help people to find records for you or suggest possible sources.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
What was Mara's maiden name? Yvonavich sounds more Russian than Greek  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 16 08:12 BST (UK) »
My family are Romany....they rarely leave any paper trails. My grandmother Mara apparently her last name was Wassell and she was born in Poland. I believe she was born in 1882. I English my grandmothers name was Maria.

Between 1933 and 1949 they were in Africa:
Incoming Passenger list : Embarked in Capetown Africa - arrived in Southampton November : SS Eli Nil
Shipping Line: Furness, Withy & Company Ltd

Apparently my grandfather Giorgi his father was from Russia...I do not know his name. My grandfather was born in Athens Greece, someone else told me that my grandfather Giorgi was born in Faria Greece, not really sure

They had 10 children, Tanas, Mehi (Peter) Lawrie (Stephen) Slatcho (Archie) Michael, daughters...Milka, Mara, Lena, Soffee, cannot remember the last sisters name.

Sorry it is all I have
Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
http://www.gypsyjib.com/thread/3876747/

From this thread some more information - they used the surname 'Evon', in one record Giorgi is listed as "George Evon alias Stevenson"

Previous thread on Rootschat:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=642242.0

Especially where your family might have left fewer records than usual, we have to get all the information you know about aliases, whereabouts, etc, so we can try and find them in the records they did leave. :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk