Author Topic: Joseph Henry Garrard  (Read 6226 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Henry Garrard
« Reply #27 on: Monday 16 May 16 06:43 BST (UK) »
Now I wonder if this information from the Biographical Index of South Australians is the basis for you or your fellow researchers stating that James was from Suffolk.  Age is not a match.  So is the information on his marriage and death certificates incorrect ie he was 20 years when he married in 1854 and 61 years of age in 1905; born c1834.

GARROD James born c1830 Suffolk, England
Arrived  1851 on the SULTAN
Occupation Agricultural Labourer

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/sultana1851.shtml
GARROD James    21 years    Agr. Labourer    Suffolk

GARROD in the list of passengers
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article38440355

Why would he lower his age when he married ie if it is the same person.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 16 May 16 09:35 BST (UK) »
We have all the latest info posted by Cando. We also have info that James married Susan La(i)ng formerly Turner in Wesley Chapel, Kapunda on 4 Nov, 1854. Grooms age: 20. Brides age :23.  Her first marriage was to Robert Dundas Laing on 25 Jan, 1850. James and Susan are buried in Yongala.
No info re: James parents or life before his marriage. Seems he stayed around the Burra area in South Australia and that my grandfather, William, was a 'bullocker', who drove a oxen team from Clare up to Broken hill.

James lived at various places north of Adelaide according to his chn's birth registrations [you can check those] but settled at Black Springs where he was declared insolvent.  Black Springs is 30 km south of Burra and Yongala where he and Susan died is 140 km north of Black Springs.

Is he the James REID, farmer at Black Springs as well...several mentions on TROVE apart from the insolvency.

Possibly Susan arriving 1849 on the ELIZA
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/eliza1849.shtml
TURNER Susan    16 years   Domestic Servant     Cambridge

Cando

Offline glopaul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 May 16 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,  Your info has helped me a lot. The 'other' person helping me is my husband, Paul, who knowledge is only slightly better than mine. Did not know about "James Reid" before these posts.
It was the "La(i)ng & Turner throwing me, but now realise same person.
I agree that the marriage info re: James should have said 'widow', but who knows how strict it was then; it is curious what happened to Laing ???
Also the Yongala cemetery markers should be 71 years, not 75. I always thought my dad was 65 when he died, but since getting his birth cert. to start this process, I realised he was 61 ??? My step brother, from my mothers first marriage (to Cameron) always said the Garrards are well known in the Clare/ Burra area.
Many thanks to you for your help, it has been invaluable and much appreciated.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 May 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
The Yongala grave markers have the same ages as the death registrations ie James was 75 years and  Susan 61 years.  The information may have been sourced from the burial registers.

Joseph Henry's 1959 burial record at West Terrace has his age as 65 years.
http://www.aca.sa.gov.au/Records
and his WW1 attestation paper dated 22 Feb 1916 shows his age as 21½ years ie born c1894.  Naughty boy :-X  Perhaps he popped up his age to avoid obtaining parental consent to enlist.
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Gallery151/dist/JGalleryViewer.aspx?B=4028243&S=1&N=25

Looking at the marriages of James' children I notice that a  marriage in 1890 was held at his home at Yatina which is north east of Peterborough and another dau was married at Peterborough in 1891 but you may have this info. 

I'll see if I can link those other SA GARRARD families to your line however that is for another day. :)   

Cando

Offline glopaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 May 16 23:03 BST (UK) »
I remember being told that my dad put his age up to get into the AIF. Also on his papers he gave his mothers name as 'Brown', which threw me a bit, but now know that was her name from second marriage, yet on her death index, it has reverted to 'Garrard'. I checked and found my dad married Lucy Underwood after he came out of AIF and have found they divorced.
A persons age in those times seemed to go up and down to suit their requirements.... :)

Offline Miss JayEm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 24 July 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
I'm in the middle of 6 months research into William Garrad/Garrard's family - I'm related to you through a son with his first wife, Elizabeth Jemima Potter.  If anyone interested in this family would like to contact me privately, I'm more than happy to collaborate with you on what I have. 

Trove has been absolutely invaluable in researching this family - actually, it's been the key to unlocking pretty much all of the family connections.  Do you use Evernote, by any chance?  I've been writing up case notes for the family, and can send you a link to my Evernote research notes.

Edited to add: the James and Susan connection in Yongala is definitely accurate - an identified son of theirs, Thomas Henry Garrard (usually known as Henry or Harry) posted a memorial to two of his brothers - one, a known son of James and Susan, John Phillip, who died in Mintaro in 1910, and the other William who died in Broken Hill, 1905. 

I'm still going over the rest of the posts in this thread. I'm very interested to see that our James Garrard may have also been known as James Reid, as this resolves an issue with one of their daughters, Susan Mary, who married James O'Callaghan in 1879 as Susan Reid/Read (and appears in her children's birth records under both names).

Anyway, hope to hear from you sometime, it's been quite a tangle of relationships to untangle, so I'm not surprised you hit brick walls!

Cheers for now,

JM

Offline glopaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 05:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Miss Jayem,
Would like to contact you through email and go over what we both have, also see what you have on Evernote. Have to leave it till next week as we are tied up for this week.

Offline Miss JayEm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 05:27 BST (UK) »
Next week will be fine, it's a bit of a full week this week for me too  :)

What I have managed to do is confirm 10 of James and Susan's 11 children mentioned in her death notice, plus their spouses, and I'm filling out their children at this point in time. 

Now I've got this new info on James Garrard also being James Reid, that might open up some more info on the rest of the family.

Cando's list of children for James and Susan is spot on - the only one I have that's not on her list is George Alexander, b. 2 Dec 1872 at Black Springs.  So, it appears as though there's one daughter unaccounted for, or that death notice has an error in it.

The Henry on her list is Thomas Henry, who's a significant reason why the family is well known in the Burra/Black Springs/Emu Downs area, as he had 6 children with his first wife, and 15 more with his second!  All bar one lived into adulthood, and it's his family and his sister Susan's that I'm concentrating on at the moment.

I'd be very interested in looking over William Garrard's will and probate from Broken Hill, if that was available - it seems very significant that there's virtually no interaction between William's first family with Elizabeth and his second with Ann.  There could be some clues hidden there.

Also, you can follow my lists on Trove if that helps, under the username jae.em

Anyway, I'll do a couple more posts now to get my numbers up so we can PM details.  (Anyone else interested, please feel free to PM me as well :) )

Cheers for now

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 07:09 BST (UK) »
]I'd be very interested in looking over William Garrard's will and probate from Broken Hill,

There is no Will.  He died intestate.

Previously posted on the thread

William James GARRARD late of Crystal Street, Broken Hill, labourer, deceased intestate.
.... application .... to Ann GARRARD, widow of the above of Crystal Street.

Leave you to it :)

Cando