Author Topic: Latin Translation of Penang Catholic historic baptism record required!  (Read 920 times)

Offline Stoodly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Greetings,

Here is what hopefully is the baptism record of my GGGG grandfather George Scott, baptised/born circa 1st June 1801 in George Town, Penang/Pinang. Also known as Prince of Wales Island.

It's been a very, very long wait to get a scan of this record and I am hoping to find out more about George's parents to break through to the next generation of ancestors.

Kind thanks in advance for any Latin readers/old writing readers who can help.

Regards

Diana

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Latin Translation of Penang Catholic historic baptism record required!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
On the twelfth day of January 1800 I conditionally baptised, with full ceremonies of the Church, George, the natural son of Dionysia, commonly known as Dia...tia(?) Tiah(?), in the presence of the godfather Augustino de Rosario and the godmother Sebastiana Gin (Yin?), born twenty-seven days earlier; I baptised him conditionally because he had been baptised previously by Catharina Xi(*), on account of being in danger of death; but when I specified the form of baptism for him, his father objected; he is James(**) Scott, merchant, residing here.
                                                      <signed> Michael Peter Rutenwald
     * presumably the midwife?
     ** Jacobus = either James or Jacob

The names are difficult – I’m confident about the mother being Dionysia, but less certain about the other name(s) she was known by.

Offline Stoodly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 00:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Bookbox - the plot thickens, as the mother's name is new to me.

Regards
Diana

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 00:25 BST (UK) »
What name were you expecting for the mother, if any?

Offline Stoodly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 00:41 BST (UK) »
We (myself and other frustrated researchers of the Scott line) had two options for baby George Scott.

We believe that he is either the son of Robert Scott and Lugia Piera born 1801.
or 
a George Scott that "should be registered as the child of James Scott and Layla, a native of Ladjana, Borneo" noted in the same records in 1800. I don't have a copy of this record as it was just sighted by another researcher and passed on to me.

These church records are in their original form and have been previously very difficult to access due to the Church's protection of their fragility. But the good peeps at City Church Penang are doing some transcribing and sent me the attached page yesterday. Hopefully they will digitise all of these records and make them public and we can delve further into our Scott family mystery.

There were quite a few related Scotts who were early settlers/traders in Penang. Robert Scott was a cousin of Sir Walter Scott. James Scott (another cousin) along with Francis Light were movers and shakers in early Penang.

Kind regards

Diana

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 00:49 BST (UK) »
So this George Scott looks like a third option, born in December 1799. Good luck :)