Author Topic: How did they meet  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
How did they meet
« on: Thursday 19 May 16 09:34 BST (UK) »
Thinking about some of my ancestors I often wonder how they met and carried out a courtship many miles apart.Even living in a village some way away presented problems if they had to walk miles....though they did.I have some that were living very far away from each other.
My gggrandmother was living in a house where a team of carpenters were working on a nearby place.She married one of them.My husbands gggrandmother was in service in Gloucestershire yet married a man from Liverpool....he was a carrier so probably travelled the country.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How did they meet
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 16 09:51 BST (UK) »
My maternal grandfather came from Wiltshire.
My maternal grandmother from Kent.

It puzzled me for years as to how they met, and married in Blackwood, Monmouthshire?

GF left rural Wiltshire and started working on the Bristol Coalfield. When the pits there began to close he & his brother moved to South Wales.

GM's father couldn't find work in Kent, and paid 7 shillings and 6 pence for the train fare to South Wales, cleaning boilers at a coal mine. The family followed later!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 16 09:59 BST (UK) »
On censuses my great x3 grandfather always gave Liverpool as his place of birth, yet he was living and married in London. Then I found him as a mariner before marriage and found his wife's father had run a pub where mariners were lodgers, so I presume this is how they met.

Another greatx3 grandmother was working in a rectory in Suffolk and married a local carpenter. I still haven't worked out why she was working there,in a small village, when she was born in London.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 16 10:12 BST (UK) »
Only one generation back - Mum Meets Dad!

Not long after My Dad died, I asked my Mum how they met!

I already knew that my Dad had a little boot and shoe repair shop in the same little suburb where she and her family lived, and that one of her cousins was Dad's best friend.

She told me that she had rather liked him for a while, and when she was coming home from Guides at night, if the shop light was on, she would knock on the window, and then run away home.

This apparently went on for some time, and then one night, she decided not to run away! 

The rest, as the saying goes, is history!  After they were married, they lived in the same little suburb, and my 2 brothers and I were born, raised and married from the house they lived in.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor that was a silk mercer,he married the daughter of a yeoman farmer. I can easily guess how that courtship happened despite the distance between parents houses. Possibly he was selling alot of fabric there as the farmer had more than one daughter and a wife to keep happy ;)
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline starcat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 May 16 11:09 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was born in Salford, Manchester but grew up in Leicester & my grandmother was born & grew up in Rothwell in Northants, Im told they met on the Isle of Man, Id love to know that story.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 May 16 11:21 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was born in Salford, Manchester but grew up in Leicester & my grandmother was born & grew up in Rothwell in Northants, Im told they met on the Isle of Man, Id love to know that story.

The Isle of Man was a popular holiday destination?!
Particularly post-1880.
Peak years were 1913 (663,000 visitors) and 1948.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 May 16 12:32 BST (UK) »
I've never stopped to think how my two sets of grandparents met.
It's easier to work out my paternal grandparents; they lived in the same part of town.
My maternal grandparents are a bit harder. My grandfather worked in the railways, and my grandmother was in service. Perhaps they met at a dance or something. There was a 14 year gap between them.
I do know the story of how one set of great grandparents met. GGF was a sailor on local boats, and GGM used to go to the wharves where her brothers worked, taking them their lunches. Quite a romantic story, and to think that a Scottish woman would meet a Swedish man in Australia!
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 May 16 12:52 BST (UK) »
My own meeting with OH.  I was born in Cheshire, OH in Edmonton, London.  I went to work in Runcorn and was living in lodgings during the week.  OH was a contract draughtsman and he came to Runcorn and was in the same lodgings.  I was due to emigrate to New Zealand, but instead moved to London and married there.  Timescale was February to August 1964.  We're still married  ;)

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY