Author Topic: Institution help?  (Read 636 times)

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Institution help?
« on: Thursday 19 May 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone can help, i'm looking for a recent (ish!) ancestor where ancestry has come up empty.

From family stories I know he was institutionalised young and spent his life there, because of an accident resulting in learning difficulties etc.
I do understand treatment of mental health was very different back then so wouldn't be surprised if he came up somewhere unexpected. 
He had a brother and sister (who i've also had no success with).

Barry Cheetham lived approx 1905–1982 dying in england.
His father John Cheetham, brother Cyril and sisters Vera and Muriel. All siblings moved to Scotland early in their lives (parents abandoned them) but I believe Barry remained in whatever institution he was put into and stayed in the same area his entire life.

I realised not knowing the area or institution type it's a needle in a haystack but hoped someone might have even a generic idea of where i could start?

Many thanks for reading
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.
Many Naval ancestors and connections to Canada & American.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Institution help?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 16 23:48 BST (UK) »
Search for a death certificate, first, I suggest.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 16 03:07 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find a Barry Cheetham born before 1911, and none dying in 1982 in England
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 May 16 07:43 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find a Barry Cheetham born before 1911, and none dying in 1982 in England

Thanks for trying, I couldn't either, I hoped it was me missing something or possibly that he's institutionalised, but I'm starting to wonder if the name he's known by, wasn't his actual name.

Would anyone know, should I expect him to appear as an inmate on census in the normal way even though he was institutionalised?
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.
Many Naval ancestors and connections to Canada & American.

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 May 16 07:55 BST (UK) »
If you have a rough idea on where in England they may have lived then perhaps some-one may be able to suggest an institution.

And perhaps some further information about the family might help, such as the mother and her maiden name.

Of course, nothing about those that may still be alive.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk