Author Topic: Probate Records England  (Read 1576 times)

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Probate Records England
« on: Friday 03 June 16 08:51 BST (UK) »
Are there any record sets where I could find Probate for someone who died in London (Clerkenwell) in 1840. I have a copy of the Will but it was written in 1820 and there is no evidence of any changes to it since then.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Probate Records England
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 16 09:22 BST (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 June 16 10:12 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 16 06:02 BST (UK) »
Thankyou both for your help. Very confusing! Regards, Marilyn

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 June 16 08:36 BST (UK) »
Are there any record sets where I could find Probate for someone who died in London (Clerkenwell) in 1840. I have a copy of the Will but it was written in 1820 and there is no evidence of any changes to it since then.
    From where did you obtain the copy of the will, please?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 June 16 09:22 BST (UK) »

Not all estates went to probate. Is there any land, leasehold or copyhold property mentioned in the will which might suggest it was a substantial estate?

As regards Clerkenwell, the place of death may be irrelevant. What matters is the jurisdiction where the estate lay. Someone may have died in London but held extensive property elsewhere, which will determine the probate court. Does the will mention any locations?

For London, there are several possible probate courts, even at this relatively late date. Try some shortcuts first. A good place to start is David Wright's London Probate Index, now complete online at FindMyPast (a pay/subscription site). Anything found there will tell you which court the will was proved in, and the LMA leaflet (linked above) should then lead you to the records.

For a wider geographical area, try the Index to Death Duty Registers, also on FindMyPast. If there was duty to pay on the estate, this index will identify the court and give the name of the executor/administrator.

Please bear in mind these online resources are indexes. You won't necessarily find the actual probate record online.

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 June 16 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thankyou to both of you.

Scouseboy, I found the Will on The National Archives Discovery web site in the category of Wills. You can search by name and year for free but then have to pay to download the Will.

Bookbox, yes he had land  and  property some of which was in Hampshire. I will follow your suggestions.

Regards, Marilyn.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 00:07 BST (UK) »
Some confusion here, I think. If your copy of the will was downloaded from the National Archives site, in class PROB 11, then it definitely did go to probate, in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC). The probate clause, giving the date of the grant and the executor's name, is normally at the end of the will.

What exactly are you trying to find out? If you want to know about the distribution of the estate (who got what), you will need to access the Death Duty Registers. These are not online for this date and can normally only be seen in person at the National Archives, Kew.

If you're willing to post the testator's name, it's possible that someone may be able to help.

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 00:46 BST (UK) »
Bookbox, yes date of grant and executor's names were at the end. One executor had died since the The Will was made in 1820 and no mention of a wife in the Will (deceased). But there is lots on line re the man and a widow was referred to.

He was John Vickery who died late June 1840 and date of grant was in July 1840. He died at Clerkenwell and he had been a Bow Street police officer.

It would be interesting to see who the beneficiaries were and especially if there is a new wife. There is an 1826 marriage to Hannah Day at Clerkenwell and I am not sure whether it is him or his son.

More information would clarify the 1887 Will of one of his sons.

Marilyn