Author Topic: Resarch in Dundee - where to start?  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Resarch in Dundee - where to start?
« on: Friday 03 June 16 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Next week I will be in Dundee for just two days ( Friday & Monday) and would like to use my time to research family history. Can anyone recommend the best places to go for research? I have never done any 'hands -on' research in Scotland before so really want to make best use of my time.

So far I have used 'Scotland's People' - which is different to the English records I am used too. I have managed some BMD records using this on-line facility but census records seems difficult ( and expensive!) to find if the name is one where the spelling is variable. This might sound naive but are there any advantages to visiting the records offices or is it still the same process as using Scotland's People?

I know the family originated in Dundee and at least one was involves in the Jute industry.
Thanks for reading!

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Research in Dundee - where to start?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 16 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

If you have downloaded records already it might be worth posting details here to see if we can identify the family on Census records.

Scotlandspeople online records are subject to limits(births - 100 years, marriages - 75 years , and deaths - 50 years) , family history centres will give you access to modern records.

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Resarch in Dundee - where to start?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 June 16 15:08 BST (UK) »
Not for specific family member research, but if you want to get a feel for what your ancestor is likely to have experienced working in the jute industry, I can highly recommend a visit, if time allows, to Verdant Works:

http://www.rrsdiscovery.com/index.php?pageID=130
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 June 16 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks - The names I have are Henrietta  Nicoll (her maiden name) and Alexander Laurie. I know they married in 1877 in Dundee and that they had 4 children ( I have been able to find their births /marriages /deaths for these)
The only census returns I have for these is for 1901 when the couple and their 4 children ( aged 22 19 15 & 12) are living at 11 Nelson ? Dundee.
I also have an 1861 census for Henrietta family - living at 58 Rosebank Street Dundee.

Thankyou also for the details of the Verdant Works, will definitely make a visit there.

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 June 16 16:22 BST (UK) »

1881 census, Dundee, Forfar.

Address, 4 South George Street.

Alexander Lawrie, Head, Commercial Clerk, M. age 31 years, M. born Laurencekirk, Kincardine,
Henrietta Lawrie, Wife, M. age 30 years, F. born Dundee, Forfar,
Rosa May Lawrie, Daur, U. age 2 years, F. born Dundee, Forfar.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 June 16 16:27 BST (UK) »
Friends of Dundee Archives website, in their Dundee Directories section, has Alexander in 1882, a clerk with Alexander Low & Son, living at  3 South George Street and in 1896, same occupation, living at 11 Nelson Street.  (Haven't looked for the Nicoll family, though).

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 June 16 17:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone - I am creating a diagram to build up the picture of who was where and with whom! I have also seen on Google earth that Nelson Street looks is still there so shall also take a walk up to there to get a feel for the place.

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 June 16 17:42 BST (UK) »
You could try contacting the cemeteries dept in the library who gave me a plan of the cemetery with grave numbers for my relatives, which led to my finding an uncle I didn't know about from the grave stone.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 June 16 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks antiquesam Great advice - I shall do that.