Author Topic: Army births Deaths and Marriages  (Read 1244 times)

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army births Deaths and Marriages
« on: Saturday 04 June 16 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have the index for Army births 1840 and have found my relative was born in Exeter 1840 and the Regiment 25th Foot along with the volume and page number just wondering do I apply to GRO for the certificate or somewhere else- I also have some deaths and a marriage I have found and will probably apply for those too at a later date. Can anyone help?

I am also looking for Catherine McGrath born Ireland 1821 and Elizabeth Scott born Exeter 1840. In the 1841 census John Scott who Catherine married in 1842 in Brecknock Wales was in the Barracks at Watton at this time Where could they be??

Barbara
selby graham cowans skelly vint foster maughan

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army births Deaths and Marriages
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 June 16 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

You order it from the (E&W) GRO in the normal way. But you use the overseas section - https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_select.asp

As it is post July 1837 there should also be a civil certificate for any event in England and Wales.

Post details of your 25th Foot family I may have something. My GGF served with them in the 1870s, so I have a fair bit of information.

Added.. the 25th sailed for the Cape of Good Hope in December 1839 so he must have been at the Depot. In August 1842 the overseas service companies moved on to India for 13 years.

Ken

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 June 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
Again...

There is 829 Corporal John Scott in the Depot at Brecon in Qtr2 1842. Findmypast have the same information. Their 1841 Index is based upon the same muster.

He received good conduct pay from 8th June.

FindMyPast have his record – born c1813 in Charlton, Northumberland. He was later demoted to Private.

The infantry were given numbers from the late 1820s. Number 829 suggests he was not serving at the time, but was recruited soon after.

Ken

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 June 16 14:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken

Great information some of which I have from Findmypast He married in Brecknock in 1842 so was in Barracks then - then he went off to India where three sons were born- Ettrick 1850, Shadrack 1849 and Alexander 1854 unfortunately the latter two died in 1854 aged 5 and 10months. His wife must have been able to go to India too. My problem is the whereabouts of Catherine Mcgrath  who was still single and baby Elizabeth in the 1841 census.  Elizabeth recorded as Exeter birth 1840 so was there a barracks near there?  John enlisted in Drogheda 1833 I believe and discharged Chatham 1855 medical report states he was worn out!!! Jane my 2x great grandmother was born in Chatham Kent in 1855. John appears to have children born wherever he was posted before settling in the North of England and a further son was born William George in 1859.

Thanks again Barbara

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 June 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

To confirm you are looking for Catherine (his wife) and Elizabeth in 1841?

In theory soldiers needed permission to marry. But they could not stop them marrying especially when home. If they had moved overseas only families on the Married Establishment could go with their husbands. It looks as if his family was not 'on the strength'. There were only about 40 places for Private's wives (out of maybe 600) compared to a guaranteed place for a senior sergeant. His family may not have been on the strength. So they could be in digs nearby or with her family.

In 1841 there were no married quarters. Just a corner separated by a blanket from the rest of the men.

Do you know Catherine's father's occupation?

Ken

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 June 16 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

Yes it is Catherine and Elizabeth I am looking for. Catherine was born in Ireland her father was Phillip McGrath and on the marriage certificate states he was a labourer. They were married St Mary's Chapel in the parish of St John the Evangelist in the County of Brecon.

Barbara