Author Topic: Trying to trace my Romany roots Foster and Evans  (Read 12208 times)

Offline woodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace my Romany roots Foster and Evans
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 29 April 21 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi i did try and send germancelt a message

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 29 April 21 17:40 BST (UK) »
New member with less than 2 posts are unable to your the PM function if that is what you used.
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline woodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 29 April 21 18:25 BST (UK) »
that would explain the no reply  :)

Offline Charlotte brown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 13 May 24 13:47 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Evans or evens romany, my grandfather his father was William Edward Evans, Montgomeryshire and other parts of Wales him his brother and a Davis cousin were adopted, I have done DNA and get Jones Reese Simpson and far back Boswell cousin that ended up in USA can anyone help with this, thank you Charlotte

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 15 May 24 07:55 BST (UK) »
Charlotte, Do you have and dates for William Edward Evans?

Offline Charlotte brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 16 May 24 12:42 BST (UK) »
Maybe birth 1901 there about thanks for the reply

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 19 May 24 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlotte, There is an Evans family of travellers listed in Eric Trudgill’s book. Alice Evans daughter of Daniel and Lydia, married Edward Jones. They had 9 sons and 1 daughter between 1835 and 1858, including Edward and William. Both sons had children in the 1880s all in Montgomeryshire. The Evans family also link to Boswell, as Charlotte’s sister Catherine Evans married Richard Boswell and a well-known traveller family. Simpson is also a name I associate with travellers. This is a generation earlier that your William Edward Evans. As travellers, they often used different names and could adopt their mother’s maiden name. They also repeated names throughout the whole family and down generations. This Evans family may not be related, but they need to be considered as they link to many facts you provided.

Offline Charlotte brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 20 May 24 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much William Edward is my grandad, I've done DNA and Boswell's are fourth cousins upwards, most of the Boswell matches are USA but other may not have tested, my great grandfather William Edward his brother and a Davis cousin were taken and adopted for some reason, Simpson and Sampson are also matches to me, Roma came out in my ethnicity also middle eastern and Indian, I'm also adopted and seem to have it both sides my dad's dad was a Harris, his mother side has romany, chapman Goodman wadge peddler Goddard maybe not real name with regard to Goddard she was from Birkenhead and raised by Wilson relatives her side has been almost impossible to trace, I'm on romany ancestry uk and have loads of matches but starting to look at the Welsh Evans side almost given up on the other oh I forgot I have Stevens from Gloucester to

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 21 May 24 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlotte, Researching traveller heritage can offer a minefield of difficulties, and you may not find all the answers. Not trusting authority, often with good reason, they lied or refused to give information. Many had aliases and often wanted to blend in with the locals. In Wales some took Welsh names like Scamps becoming Williams. Boswell also used Lock, and from my research birth registrations where the mother was a Boswell, they used Boss, Bass and Voss, as there was a stigma. I have 8% DNA that could be Romany, but reaching 1820 there is still no link. When you say Boswell fourth cousins, that would be five generations ago. Start with what you know and then work backwards, and fill your tree as much as possible. By having a fuller tree, when you hit a brick wall as many do, you might then find a different path. And don’t trust other people’s trees. If you cannot find specific information ask on Rootschat.