Author Topic: Gold star for EE!  (Read 345 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Gold star for EE!
« on: Wednesday 08 June 16 11:26 BST (UK) »
I called in to my local EE shop to discuss a new contract for my mobile phone, rather fearing that I would be forced to face up to the dreaded Smartphone.  My phone comes out with me in the car, on walks and on holiday, but is rarely used.  It's just there in case of an emergency.

The assistant dealt with my request for a very simple bottom of the range phone very politely and produced a simple phone (no swiping, no apps) with a large "keyboard", which had the additional function of an emergency button, which when pressed automatically phoned the numbers in my contacts, working its way down the list until it found someone who answered.  This did mean that I had to edit the most important numbers on my list by inserting "AA" in front of family names to put them at the top of the list, since the first name on my list lives in Switzerland and would not have been much help if an emergency occurred in the UK.

The assistant couldn't have been more polite, friendly and efficient and I am delighted with my new phone, which costs me no more than my old one.  So good for EE!  I thought I'd give them a gold star for a change.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Gold star for EE!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 13:27 BST (UK) »
Gillg, when I was travelling in UKlast year, I bought a very reasonably priced cell phone in ASOS, a neat little Samsung for only £10 or so. I had relatives there, and wanted to get their numbers in, also my emergency Next of Kin numbers in NZ.

I had to go to EE to put some credit on it, another £10, so was much better than taking my own little Samsung (which was very similar) with me from NZ, where if I did use it in UK, it was going to cost me an arm and a leg on NZ Telecom Roaming charges, and that included people possibly ringing me from home, which would also cost me heaps!

I was pretty confused about all this, and I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but the people in the EE Shop were so helpful to me in setting it up, it was certainly an amazingly friendly service!  I would certainly give them a Gold Star too!

Much better than here, when I was buying my first mobile phone in a Telecom shop and asked the woman if she could show me how to set it up, she told me to ask my grandchildren!  She wasn't kidding either!  Cheeky beggar! 

I just said "if that's your attitude, just forget it then, and I'll have my money back thank you"!

She mumbled something and gave me the money back, almost threw it at me, so I said " could I speak to your Manager please".  She bristled, so I just looked at her name badge  - Guess what - she WAS the Manager!  I shook my head and walked out!

I have the highest regard for the amazing friendly service I had, from staff in all sorts of places I went to in England and Scotland - shops, hotels, the underground, coach people, all amazing, helpful people. They all deserve Gold stars from me!

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections