Author Topic: Trying to find Margaret Kelly who emigrated to Rhode Island  (Read 3039 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Trying to find Margaret Kelly who emigrated to Rhode Island
« on: Sunday 12 June 16 12:01 BST (UK) »
I am searching for details of  the parents particularly the mother of Joseph Peter Kelly born July 1883 at Central Falls, Providence, Rhode Island. His marriage certificate in East Wareham, Massachusetts 1915 names his father as John Kelly and mother's maiden name Margaret Kelly. On the 1920 census John is a widower and living with his son in Wareham and states he's from Northern Ireland.

Moving backwards I can't find any of the family on the 1910 census except for John Anthony (Joseph's brother) who is living with his married sister now called Margaret Roach in Central Falls, Rhode Island.

On the 1900 census John born in Ireland in May 1855 and Margaret born in England in June 1855 are living in Lincoln Town, Providence, Rhode Island. They both emigrated to the US in 1873. Their children are named as Alice born April 1881, Joseph born July 1883 (which confirms that it's the correct family), Margaret born July 1888 and John A (Anthony) born August 1890.

The 1890 census was damaged so I can't find where they were living but presume that it was in Lincoln Town.

The 1880 census finds them living in Lincoln Town with daughter Ellen born July 1879. Also living with them is his mother-in-law Margaret age 72 born in England. Margaret (junior) states her father was from Ireland and her mother from England. Margaret (senior ) says her father was from Pennsylvania and her mother from Ireland.

This is where I've hit a brickwall.  I know Margaret (junior) emigrated in 1873 so I've searched the 1861 and 1871 census for the whole of England for a Margaret Kelly born circa 1855 to a mother Margaret born circa 1808 and can't find any family where the mother's age is close to Margaret (senior). Can anyone think of where I could look next?

Margaret

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Margaret Kelly who emigrated to Rhode Island
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi this might be a possible record
1875 Pawtucket Providence Rhode Island
Margaret Kelley born about 1808 birth place England age 67 widow
Margaret Kelley born about 1853 England age 22 daughter

1871 Census Hartlepool Durham England
Margaret Kelley born about 1807 Portarton Offaly Ireland age 64  widow
Dennis Kelley born about 1841 Offaly Ireland age 30 son
Margaret Kelley born about 1851 Coxhoe Durham England  age 20

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 June 16 15:56 BST (UK) »
1861 possibly the same family still in Hartlepool mixed up with an Isaac W Sharp family
Margaret Kelley birth out quite a bit b 1820 Ireland age 41
Dennis Kelley b 1841 Ireland ...Alice Kelley b 1845 Ireland ...Bridget Kelley b 1847
Susan Kelley down as being born same year and Margaret Kelley b 1850 all 3 born at Coxhoe Durham England ...might be worth looking at
Rosie

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 June 16 16:02 BST (UK) »

Hi Rosie

I think the US one is the correct family thank you for finding them. Margaret (senior) in Pawtucket has the same birth year which correlates with the 1880 census which is really good and I know the family move around Rhode Island and later Massachusetts.

I dismissed the Durham record because Margaret (junior) always states on the censuses that her mother was born in England and her father in Ireland and on the 1871 census that Margaret is born in Ireland.

I suspect that Margaret (junior) had siblings so I'm going to have another look at the 1880 US census and see if I can link the Kelly names to the 1861/71 English censuses.

Thanks once again. This family are a nightmare to find because they keep disappearing.

Margaret  :D

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 June 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
Your welcome Margaret... I think you will find some of the sisters also probably the best thing would be to try and find a birth record for Margaret in Durham got to go out now but will have a look later
Rosie

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 June 16 22:03 BST (UK) »

There are no other Kelly's living in Lincoln, Rhode Island in 1880 apart from one family headed by Patrick Kelly but he was born in Ireland. I could possibly have missed one as the census is water damaged in parts an the ink has run so some of the names are difficult to read.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 June 16 08:56 BST (UK) »
1871 Census Manchester Lancashire, 63 Bradfield Road
Margaret Kelly age 63 born Manchester Lancashire, bobbin reeler
Margaret Kelly, dau age 19 also born Manchester 

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 June 16 19:17 BST (UK) »

I think you are correct thank you so much. I don't know why I couldn't find it.  :(

I can't find them on the 1861 census. I know ages change over time but if they are in the Manchester area they don't seem to be together.

Back to the search.

Margaret

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 06:58 BST (UK) »
One thing has occurred to me, who gave the information in 1880 ?
If it was John then Margaret (snr) was indeed his mother in law, but if it was Margaret who gave the information then Margaret (snr) was her mother in law, i.e. John's mother.

I know it's supposed to be from the point of the head of household, however from researching my own family, I have found a son described as a step son because the second wife gave the information.

Have you found the marriage of John and Margaret? about 1878 according to the 1900 census, married 22 years. Margaret also stated 4 children born 4 still living yet in 1880 you know she had a fifth child Ellen.