Author Topic: 1841 GLOUCESTERSHIRE (Bristol) LONG  (Read 2567 times)

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 GLOUCESTERSHIRE (Bristol) LONG
« on: Thursday 21 July 05 16:28 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry to be a pain, but would it be possible for some kind person to look at the 1841 census for me, please? I'm looking for my g-g-g-g-grandfather, possibly my g-g-g-g-g-grandfather. His name was Paul Long and he was born in Prussia in about 1775, so he'd be about 66 on the 1841 census.

In 1851 he was a widower, so I've no idea as to his wife's name or if she was still alive a decade previously. I expect his children had left home. However, he had a married daughter called Caroline Westerman by this time. 

Also from the 1851 census, I know that he was living with another widower - a 67-year old carpenter called John Franks, from Frome in Somerset. Their address in 1851 was Drivers Field, Bristol. I don't know if this helps at all, but that's all I know about him. I hope it's enough to be of some use to you, but apologise if it's not. I don't know where Drivers Field is, but the wedding certificate of his daughter, Caroline (married in 1848), says the parish of St Paul - so maybe that's where the Long family lived in 1841.

Thanks ever so much. I don't know where I'd be this last week without the kindness of lookup offerers. :)

Best wishes,
Vicky
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 GLOUCESTERSHIRE (Bristol) LONG
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 05 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi I have looked at St Paul's 1841 census ref HO 107/374/1

I couldn't find Paul Long or his Daughter Caroline Westerman in that area. They may of moved. If you find another address let me know. The 1841 is not index so I just have to work through it all. Sorry.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 05 15:41 BST (UK) »

HO 107/374/6  -  St. Paul, Bristol
Sch. 48, Page 12
Drivers Fields

LONG
Paul  -  56  -  sugar baker??  -  foreign
Ellen  -  41
Caroline  -  18
Matthew Henry  -  14  -  printer apprentice

-----------------------

John FRANKS is living 2 doors away.

from
Sue ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 05 16:07 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you both so much for looking ;D and so sorry to have troubled you. Of course, 1841 is not an index! I hope I didn't take up too much of your time. :-[ I'm extremely grateful to you both for looking.

That's very interesting, Sue. I was curious about his wife's name. "Ellen" makes sense as an Ellen crops up further down the tree. Seems she was named after her grandmother. :)

Nice to know that John Franks was a neighbour, too.

Thank you so much,
Vicky
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 05 16:15 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D

Offline redcrystal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 05 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry to be butting in here but how do you search this census?
I have a brick wall that needs demolishing.. But I am not sure how.
I have a John Williams born in Bristol between 1821-1822. His father was John Williams and his mother was Mary (Last name is so far un readable on the only doc I have but you can look if you wish.) http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,75980.msg314298.html#msg314298 I know that John had definatly left England in 1854 as he was getting married to my g-g-g-g-grandmother. Can anyone tell me in which direction to look.
Thank you
Liz
(AUSTRALIA-NSW)
Bras(s)ington, Campbell, Donnelly, Ferry,  Lavelle, Williams,
(ENGLAND)
Allen (Colchester), Brassington (Cheshire), Burns (Durham), Davis (Sussex), White (Middlesex), Williams (Bristol),
(FRANCE-Gascony)
Breil/h, Peres, Raymond
(IRELAND)
Ferry, Herlithy

(INDIA)
Allen, Burns, Davidson, Hardie, Larengo, Lawrence, Pathe, Raymond, Wallis, White,

Offline redcrystal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 July 05 21:05 BST (UK) »
Oh and if it makes any different, the father was a Hatter. In Australia John (the 'child') was a miner in Victoria, and in NSW he was a Licensed Victualler.
Liz
(AUSTRALIA-NSW)
(ENGLAND)
Allen (Colchester), Brassington (Cheshire), Burns (Durham), Davis (Sussex), White (Middlesex), Williams (Bristol),
(FRANCE-Gascony)
Breil/h, Peres, Raymond
(IRELAND)
Ferry, Herlithy

(INDIA)
Allen, Burns, Davidson, Hardie, Larengo, Lawrence, Pathe, Raymond, Wallis, White,

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 July 05 21:25 BST (UK) »
You can view the Glos census on   http://www.originsnetwork.com/Welcome.aspx whic is a pay per view site.  There are lots of John Williams on the index.  I have been searching through possible ones in Bristol but can't see anything.  How old would the father have been in 1841?

:-\

Offline redcrystal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 July 05 22:04 BST (UK) »
Um, well John Williams was born,  1821-22 so father would have to be born at min, 16 years before. So 1806 or before, making him say 36 or older in 1841.
How do I search the 1851 census if there is one for this area? I guess John (jnr) could still be around then as he I don't have anything for him in Aust, before 1854.
As you say this is a HARD name to search.
Do you happen to know what the earliest census is for this area?
Thank you for all you help it is very much appreciated!
Liz
(AUSTRALIA-NSW)
(ENGLAND)
(FRANCE-Gascony)
Breil/h, Peres, Raymond
(IRELAND)
Ferry, Herlithy

(INDIA)