Author Topic: Robbins/Rendall  (Read 1551 times)

Offline tioman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Robbins/Rendall
« on: Thursday 21 July 05 22:13 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help on this one before I get a marriage certificate.

I have Charlotte Rendall getting married in Bridport Dec 1874 5a 833 and John Robbins marrying in Axminster Dec 1874 5b 14

But I thought they married each other!!

Would there be any parish records to prove/dismiss this. 

1891 census they are married living in Bromley Kent (although it says their name is Kobbins).

1901 shows them at different addresses in Surrey/London and I have Charlotte's death in Southwark 1903.

Any ideas??

McNeilly Scot Ireland Canada
Logan Scot
Milligan Scot Ireland Canada
Fowler Kent Devon
Seward Devon Dorset Cambs Surrey Sussex Middix
Rendell Devon Dorset Guernsey London Surrey
Duquemin Guernsey
White Devon Dorset Cheshire
Sweetland Devon
Snell Devon Dorset
Doble Dorset
Bishop Dorset
Rough Dorset
Pomeroy Devon
Turner Devon
Hawkins Dorset
Gossage Devon Dorset
Clegg Lancashire
Dare Devon
Rhodes Bethnal Green, Hackney,Bradford
Evans Beth' green
Elliot Beth' Green, Nthumla

Offline sunny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robbins/Rendall
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 05 08:27 BST (UK) »
Well I might just be able to help you.
I am currently researching Bridport for Rendal(l) myself.
My william Rendal married a Mary Balston in Allington (just down the road from Bridport - 2.1 miles I think.   So I am collecting Rendals from that area. Allington, bridport and Netherbury. I will see what I can find.
cheers Pam from Adelaide
DORSET, Sprake, Hillier (all spellings), Rendall, Balston (all spellings) and many other related.
SUSSEX, Parker, Seagrave, Stroud and many more
KENT, Hillier, Jarvis, Bailey,
SURREY, Worwood, Frostick,and others
BERKSHIRE, Dulley
LONDON & GREENWICH, Dulley, Worwood,

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 05 10:22 BST (UK) »
On the 1874 marriage for Charlotte Rendall in Bridport district, the two possible spouses are Charles James Eveleigh and Thomas Rogers. On the 1881 census Charles Eveleigh is living in Symondsbury Village in Dorset with wife Charlotte born circa 1854 Symondsbury (Dorset in 1881, Symondsbury 1891). Their children are all born after the date of 1874. On the 1871 census there is a Charlotte Rendall born circa 1854 in Symondsbury. Charlotte's family's neighbours are Eveleighs. Symondsbury is in the Bridport registration district.
Perhaps if you give the details of your Charlotte (Robbins) on the 1891 and 1901 censuses - do you have her on the 1881 census, it will help track her back.
Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tioman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 05 18:45 BST (UK) »
It looks as though I am on the wrong trail (not unusual).  I was clutching at straws thinking they may be the couple I was looking for.  my Charlotte mary Rendall (often rendell) was born on Guernsey on 13.10.1854.  She appears in the 1891 census at Croydon surrey married to John Robbins and has a daughter Amelia (my grandmothers name) age 7 and a son Arthur 4.  Living there at that time is her brother Hedley born Guernsey.  So this all confirms that she is 'my' Charlotte. I also have info from the 1901 census showing that John was in Lambeth, Charlotte and Arthur living with  her brother in London and Amelia in Clerkenwell.  I think that Charlotte died Apr 1903 in Southwark.  Trouble is I have not been able to find a marriage for John and Charlotte anywhere.  The reason I thought there 'may' be some connection with these marriages in Bridport/Axminster is that is where the Rendall family originated and Charlotte's mother and father died in Bridport in 1906 and 1908 respectively.  I will just have to keep searching... perhaps they married on Guernsey? I have posted on the Channel Islands board but with no luck.  Thanks for your interest.
Regards
Tioman
McNeilly Scot Ireland Canada
Logan Scot
Milligan Scot Ireland Canada
Fowler Kent Devon
Seward Devon Dorset Cambs Surrey Sussex Middix
Rendell Devon Dorset Guernsey London Surrey
Duquemin Guernsey
White Devon Dorset Cheshire
Sweetland Devon
Snell Devon Dorset
Doble Dorset
Bishop Dorset
Rough Dorset
Pomeroy Devon
Turner Devon
Hawkins Dorset
Gossage Devon Dorset
Clegg Lancashire
Dare Devon
Rhodes Bethnal Green, Hackney,Bradford
Evans Beth' green
Elliot Beth' Green, Nthumla

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 05 22:32 BST (UK) »
From the information you have given and checking further wasn't John Robbins on the 1881 census in Croydon with his older first wife M.E. born circa 1837 London?
Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shoko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
Checked Bridport marriages for December 1874 and there was only one - between John Tillman and Eliza Lacey - no mention of any Rendall/Robbins marriage I'm afraid.
Dibble, Hoddinott, Huntley (Somerset/Dorset); Holmes (Hull); Samuel (Hull & Belfast); Gilbert, Roberts, Talbot (Coastguards)