Author Topic: Do You Separate Your Research by Lineage or Ancestor?  (Read 606 times)

Offline KnowledgeEnthusiast

• RootsChat Extra
  • A Researcher of Kemble and Hill Welsh Lineage
    • View Profile
Do You Separate Your Research by Lineage or Ancestor?
« on: Sunday 03 July 16 09:09 BST (UK) »
I currently have one tree that I have successfully used for many years which has 1800 people on it. I like this method because it is simpler and organises reports that can be generated easily.

I have seen others use different family tree projects or Gedcoms for a specific ancestor, surname or lineage. What are you thoughts on this? Do you do it? If so, what are the pros and cons?
Hill
Kemble
Mees
Stephens
Shears
Lawrence
Lyons
Donovan
Fleurackers

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Separate Your Research by Lineage or Ancestor?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 July 16 10:01 BST (UK) »
My impression is that more people want to merge separate projects into one than vice versa. And that it's trickier to do so.

The probable pros for separate files are that you can send reports/gedcoms to those who might not be interested in other parts of the tree. But software should be perfectably able to do that from a combined tree

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 July 16 10:04 BST (UK) »
I only have one database, containing my main tree (my children, all their ancestors and all relatives of ancestors) and a number of unconnected trees.

I can't see many advantages to having separate files for different lines. My software allows for reporting and export of any given subset of my tree...

...and if you had, say, two separate databases for different lines, would you not have to maintain all repositories, sources, citations, etc., twice over? Sounds like a recipe for inconsistency and duplication of effort. And what if one individual happens to appear in both lines?

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 16 10:07 BST (UK) »
I have 5 seperate trees for a couple of reasons. Firstly, as I have some relatives doing other parts of the family, I was only going to do one part of the family originally. Since starting to do the others, when discussing or asking questions, I find it easier to refer to that family tree, Especialy when using the ancestry app for the phone. Another thing in favour of doing it this way is because I've used my great grandparents as a starting. Now the only disadvantage that may come later is that I have been in contact with a couple of people and it transpires that one person on his tree has relatives of mine from three different trees and another person has relatives that connect to two different trees. I have also come accross a couple of surnames on different trees that may be connected. No definate links yet though.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 16 13:08 BST (UK) »
I have a number of trees but have one main one for mmy family and others for various villages I am interested in etc.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.