Author Topic: Samuel RIDOUT, born 1842, Sturminster Newton, Dorset, England  (Read 722 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Samuel RIDOUT, born 1842, Sturminster Newton, Dorset, England
« on: Monday 04 July 16 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Samuel RIDOUT (sometime RIDEOUT) joined the British Army in 1858 and finally served with the Royal Canadian Rifles until July 1870, when he was discharged, as Private 2017,  ahead of the Rifles being disbanded on 30/09/1870.  His discharge was confirmed on 08/07/1870 at Halifax, Nova Scotia.

His discharge papers stated that he intended to live in St. Johns, Newfoundland.

Can anyone help with his biography after 08/07/1870 please.

Thank you,

Tony Cocks

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel RIDOUT, born 1842, Sturminster Newton, Dorset, England
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 July 16 17:05 BST (UK) »
Possible   ??? (year of birth out slightly)- Newfoundland, Canada, Index of Birth, Marriage & Death Notices from Newspapers, 1810-1890 - Samuel Ridout - born about 1838 - passed away 14 July 1883 Quidi Vidi Hospital, St. John's, Newfoundland. Gazette (Royal Newfoundland Gazette) 1807-; Newfoundlander 1827-1884; Times and General Commercial Gazette 1832-1895 - 17 July 1883 -

Deceased was a native of County Devonshire, England. He left a wife and 5 children.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 16 17:46 BST (UK) »

Thank you Sandra,

Almost certainly the correct person.....there are several variations as to his age in the UK records.......so  I am quite delighted.   People very often mistake Devon for Dorset and vice versa.   And now the cheeky $64,000 question ???   The wife and 5 children ???   Any possibility of retrieving details for them ???

For the moment,

Tony

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 16:47 BST (UK) »
Interesting I have Ridout in my Luffman tree, a couple of generations earlier, they were at Sherborne Dorset, but I suspect there may have been connections. Luffman, though a rare surname is at its highest frequency in Newfoundland. I have not yet managed to cross the Atlantic ocean though.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)