Author Topic: Adoption Records  (Read 6962 times)

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Records
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 09:50 BST (UK) »
As I have mentioned on several occasions I do not have the marriage cert in my possession. I saw no need for it seeing as I was inquiring about online adoption records and therefore I haven't a clue as to who were the witnesses on the marriage cert but what I do know is, is that it wasn't a Wakefield.
I have seen the Morning Bulletin article regarding Grace Isabella Amelia Wakefield who was born in 1903. As to who Elizabeth was I have no idea...as yet. In 914 Charles and Mary had a daughter whom they named Elizabeth so it's possible that an Elizabeth figures in it somewhere.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 12:41 BST (UK) »
G'day Sue. Charles Henry Wakefield claimed to have been born in 1875 in Rockhampton. The Claremont Wakefields also had a son (John) born in 1875 albeit that he was born in Claremont and an exact date at this point in time is unknown. If they are one and the same, then it would mean that Charles Henry had taken on a false identity which as I have mentioned earlier, I will not rule out entirely until proven otherwise. However, at this point in time, I doubt very much that they are one and the same. I wonder if on marriage and death certificates of these Claremont born Wakefields the names of their parents were given?????

I am not in any way suggesting, by any means whatever, that John WAKEFIELD and Charles Henry  WAKEFIELD are the same person and I do not know where you got the idea :P

I have raised the history of the  WAKEFIELDS of Clermont only as a line of reflection. A family in difficulty with children in need of care in the right time frame.

I have said in my post about the family, that yes, quite clearly Elizabeth and John were the children of the couple from Clermont.

Have you actually read the links from Reply #13?

If you just want to confine your question to "Are adoption records available?"
The answer is "No".  Adoption as you mean it, did not exist as has been pointed out earlier.

If your friend wants more guidance and support, he/she will need to reflect on the answers given in the thread with an open mind.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
Interesting?

Further to reply #13 and Elizabeth WAKEFIELD -

Morning Bulletin 10 Mar 1904
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/53008237?

This seems to mean that after the marriage of her daughter Mary Ann Amelia to Charles Henry WAKEFILD, Mary Ann's mother Susan COX was caring for a child of Elizabeth WAKEFIELD, as yet unmarried.

ADDING
Here is the marriage of Elizabeth-

1907 C1768 Elizabeth WAKEFIELD
John Edward TAYLOR

To clarify further- this gives a link between Elizabeth of the orphanage, born  at Clermont and Charles, the subject of our OP's interest.

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 23:10 BST (UK) »
Not at all accusing you of suggesting that John Wakefield and CHW are one and the same. I was merely stating I knew of their son John who was born in 1875 also and speculated  that "if they are one and the same....." Can you tell me how you came to that conclusion?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 00:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help and advice. Regarding the marriage certificate, the names of his parents are left blank. At this stage, we have no idea as to in which state he was born etc. only that he married  and died in Queensland. Yes the names of the brides parents were named on the marriage certificate.
I have researched the available online school records and he does not appear to have attended school in Queensland which could mean that he came to this state sometime as an adult. Either that or he isn't who he pretends he is.....Will continue to look further into it. Cheers!

May I please ask for the online link for school records for Queensland.   I would like to access it to help my own family history research.   I am particularly interested finding records for students in non-government schools in regional Qld in the late 19th Century.

JM

Firstly, I thank our OP for the PM which includes the following link for the school records :  It is www.archives.qld.gov.au

May I mention that, like the OP, I too have decades of involvement in family history.  I am New South Wales centric, particularly 19th century.   I am not nearly as familiar with the five other colonies that were federated into one colony in 1901, but I note that each of those colonies had, and as states, continue to have, their own parliaments that govern those states.   So, from a family history perspective, each of those states has their own laws that govern their own sets of records, their own registration of births, deaths, marriages, their own administration via their own civil Courts for Probates, Intestacies, Insolvencies, Licences for Mining, Land Titles, Publican's licences, etc etc etc.

Each of us come to RootsChat either seeking advice or offering advice or as a combination of those.  The Opening Post included the words "Any kind of advice greatly appreciated".   On reading back through this thread I can see that we have given our OP all kinds of sensible advice, together with explanations, local knowledge, specific knowledge, links, and have endeavoured to help our OP help her friend.  Her friend's quest is basically to find the names of the parents of Mary Ann's husband.

Charles Henry Wakefield and Mary Ann Amelia Cox. Marriage date: 21/11/1900

I am sure any RChatter who has researched NSW marriages registered in the period 1856-1895 is aware of the long running debate between Church and State in respect of the depth of details to be recorded on NSW marriage certificates.  I am also sure that many RChatters are aware of my own intense interest in the admin procedures of the civil institutions of that same era, and perhaps some RChatters are aware of the thread I prepared, and sometimes update regarding the elusive blanks (lack of parents details etc) on NSW marriage certs for that era.

Here is the OP, with highlighted words by me.
I am researching an ancestor who may have been adopted circa 1870's. On his marriage and death certificates the names of his parents are not given which leads me to think that he may have been adopted or was reared in an orphanage. Does anyone know if adoption records for this era are now available to the public? Any kind of advice greatly appreciated. Cheers.

May I re-post the live link re orphanages.
There was an Orphanage in Rockhampton. 
https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/ref/qld/biogs/QE00188b.htm

Again, I acknowledge and thank the OP for the PM, and for the live link to Archives Queensland. I was not aware they held school records.  My interest is in non-government schools in regional Qld in the late 19th Century.  I look forward to searching the online offerings from Archives Qld.

ADD
http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Resources/FamilyHistory/Pages/Default.aspx
School admission registers
“School admission registers for many Queensland state schools and state high schools are in our collection.  Search for the name of the school ……. to see if we have school admission registers for the relevant school”.

So, not all the government schools records are at the archives.  (many and if v all and every) .  I wonder if non-government schools perhaps are less well documented. 

ADD extra
http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/CollectionsDownloads/Documents/sp14_school_admission_registers.pdf

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 02:45 BST (UK) »
G'day Sue. Charles Henry Wakefield claimed to have been born in 1875 in Rockhampton. The Claremont Wakefields also had a son (John) born in 1875 albeit that he was born in Claremont and an exact date at this point in time is unknown. If they are one and the same, then it would mean that Charles Henry had taken on a false identity which as I have mentioned earlier, I will not rule out entirely until proven otherwise. However, at this point in time, I doubt very much that they are one and the same. I wonder if on marriage and death certificates of these Claremont born Wakefields the names of their parents were given?????

Qld BDM online search engine includes facility to determine date of the event.   In this instance the date deduces to 1 May 1875.
https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/queryEntry.m?type=births

Elsewhere on this thread you had already given us  Charles Henry Wakefield's dob as 16 Sept 1875 and an RChatter had already followed that up and found the following for you.
The 16/9/1875 was the date he gave on one of the documents in my friends possession. Also that he was born in Queensland. I thought it might have been on his marriage certificate but obviously not. However, a birth for a Charles Henry Wakefield in Queensland was not found and because of that, my friend seems to think that he was adopted and Wakefield was his adopted name. That being my reason for inquiring about adoption records. Any other suggestions gratefully received.  :-\

Searching on first name CHARLES with given DOB, in Qld BDM, gives just one result:

1875  C4499 (country birth) Dominico Charles, parents  James FORNO and Elizabeth Carl.

Does that surname ring any bells with your friend?

Dawn M

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 06:12 BST (UK) »

1900 Qld State Electoral Roll
The Electoral District of Rockhampton
Wakefield Charles Henry, age 23, 179 Bolsover street, carter, qualified by residence on 4th July 1899.

Also on the same roll was

Jabez Wakefield, east street.

Gerry

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 06:16 BST (UK) »

1900 Qld State Electoral Roll
The Electoral District of Rockhampton North
Thomas William Wakefield, Nerimbera, tanner, 29, qualified by residence on 10th August 1899.

Gerry

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 07:05 BST (UK) »

mygirlbill
The marriages, births of children and deaths of Elizabeth TAYLOR (nee WAKEFIELD) and John WAKEFIELD can be traced quite easily online and the details can be posted, but only if relevant.

The WAKEFIELD couple of Clermont had other children in the 1870's,. Some of these can be tracked, others are not so obvious, and likely there are omissions of registration too. ::)

Sue

I will just attempt to make clear the line of my information and thinking.

The couple in Clermont Henry and Mary Ann WAKEFIELD, (nee MURPHY) had children between 1872 and 1879. One was JOHN another was ELIZABETH. There were others. Some of the children it seems,were registered, some were not.

Mary died.
The records from the Rockhampton Orphanage- posted clearly for you to read- show John and Elizabeth went to the orphanage.

They made marriages in later life. Elizabeth to John Edward TAYLOR. The TAYLOR couple may have been at Winton as shown on Electoral Rolls.

The marriages, births of children and deaths of Elizabeth TAYLOR (nee WAKEFIELD) and John WAKEFIELD can be traced quite easily online. So yes, the names of the parents are shown on the index at their death. There is no doubt that John WAKEFIELD  was John WAKEFIELD  all his life. He did not turn into Henry.

I have seen the Morning Bulletin article regarding Grace Isabella Amelia Wakefield who was born in 1903. 

This child is not the point of the news item. Linked in Reply#43. You need to read it more closely .  Here you are citing the wrong child of the wrong age of the wrong parentage.

Elizabeth (of the orphanage), before her marriage when her surname was Miss Elizabeth WAKEFIELD of Winton, was taken to court in 1904 by Susan COX who  was the mother of Mary Ann Amelia WAKEFIELD,( nee COX).  The issue was a child that Susan had been minding for a fee.  The child was three years of age, so born 1901, and her mother had not paid the minding fee.

All this hints at a connection between CHW and the Elizabeth WAKEFIELD of the orphanage whose parents we do know.
CHW was Mrs Susan Cox’s son-in-law.
How did she come to be minding  the illegitimate child of Elizabeth WAKEFIELD of Winton?

Sue