Author Topic: Royal Marines 1831  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Royal Marines 1831
« on: Friday 22 July 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
I managed to find the Greenwich Hospital entry record for my 4 X great Grandfather, dated 1831.

In the column marked "in what ship wounded, and last served" it looks to show the entry "3rd Div. Royal Marines" but no ship. I'm therefore presume he was on some sort of land based operation & not directly connected to a particular ship. If my assumption is correct I was wondering if any one knew of any where I could look to locate a bit more information on this division of the marines or what they may have been doing in 1831

Regards

Stewart

Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Marines 1831
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 16 20:03 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who was in the Royal Marines from during that period and all the information of his service and ships on which he served was at The National Archives, I was lucky someone went there and looked up all the info for me from his attestation to becoming a Greenwich pensioner.

You could try putting his name in on the website his name should come up
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandiep but unfortunately the NA don't seem to have anything, that I can find anyway.

His name was James Wolfendale, and I did find a service record for some one of this name, a few years ago, only to conclude a week or two ago, after much confusing research that he wasn't the James Wolfendale I was looking for.

Regards

Stewart

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 16 20:43 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look at the Royal Marine Museum site?, they have an enquiry form and research leaflets which might help, they might have a record of where the 3rd division was at that time which might help to find any records......
which was record you found that you discarded?
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 16 20:45 BST (UK) »
...........hmm! I'll give it a go.

Thanks again

Regards

Stewart

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 July 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
sorry modified my last answer after you replied !!!
which was record you discarded so I don't find that one for you ;D

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 July 16 21:02 BST (UK) »
It was a James Wolfendale who apparently entered into Greenwich in 1846, 11 years after the death of my ancestor.  ::)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10537132

Regards

Stewart

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 July 16 21:19 BST (UK) »
Oh yes that's the index to records they have in FindMyPast............back to the drawing board ::)

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 July 16 21:29 BST (UK) »
......Yes it was FindMyPast that also had the records for the correct person, albeit just registers. Sadly no actual service records for him. A bit surprising though, as he served almost 25 years in the RM and made it to the rank of colour sergeant. He even managed to become a landlord of a Pub in Plymouth, goodness knows for how long and when considering his apparent length of RM service. But that's another story to delve into ::)

Regards

Stewart